Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocking Handset Issues

CaptainSlow88
Level 1: Joiner
  • 14 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi there, has anyone had much experience of trying to unlock their handset with O2? I have been trying to get mine unlocked for the best part of 2 weeks now. I've been on with the team 6 or 7 times and each time I'm told I'll receive the code within 24 hours - I only ever got one code the first time and it was incorrect. Seems like they're just trying to fob me off now.

Can anyone advise if there's any other way to unlock my handset or get some help from the O2 team?

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Did the phone come from O2 originally and not a third party or an insurance replacement etc?
Also, is the correct IMEI showing in your MyO2 http://www.o2.co.uk/myo2
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
The unlock process is described here https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Other-Products-and-Services/Unlocking-an-O2-phone-to-use-a-different-S...
What exactly are your issues, which handset and have you checked if it is actually locked?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 8

CaptainSlow88
  • 14 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

The handset is a Samsung Galaxy S6 and is definitely locked as it requests an unlock code the second a different SIM is inserted. The other SIM I've used is definitely unlocked so it isn't the issue. 

The main issue I'm having is that nobody at O2 appears to be interested in helping me resolve this. As mentioned I've been in contact with them half a dozen times at least over the past fortnight and have just been told I'll receive a code via email within 24 hours, which hasn't happened. This level of service is terrible and I've been a Virgin Mobile customer in the past so I know all about bad service!

Message 3 of 8

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Did the phone come from O2 originally and not a third party or an insurance replacement etc?
Also, is the correct IMEI showing in your MyO2 http://www.o2.co.uk/myo2

Currently using:
Message 4 of 8

CaptainSlow88
  • 14 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Yes I bought the handset directly from my local O2 shop when upgrading. On MyO2, it's not showing the correct IMEI currently as I'm using a different handset but I have confirmed the correct handset details and IMEI of the Galaxy S6 with the team on a number of occasions so they definitely have the correct details. I also have an email with the first (incorrect) code they sent me which confirms the IMEI for the S6.

Message 5 of 8

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Nothing more we can do here then. All should go through OK so I'd suggest you raise a complaint next.
I'm sure you are aware, but, don't keep putting the wrong code in or else you will hard lock the phone forever and no one will be able to unlock it.
http://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain

Currently using:
Message 6 of 8

CaptainSlow88
  • 14 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
No problem, I'll phone the team again and see what happens. Thanks for your help.
Message 7 of 8

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Good luck - as soon as you find someone willing to own the problem and see it through, you'll be fine - It's just finding someone that's the difficult part!

Currently using:
Message 8 of 8