Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UME scam

Lozza
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Why does o2 allow companies to debit mobile accounts without formal confirmation from customer. Just been stung by mobiplanet via UME Ltd 10 weeks at £4.50 every 7 days . I never use paid for services and yet suspicious activity has not been reported to me . I am really angry there is no protocols in place . If such activity had occurred at my bank i would have recieved an alert !.
On searching i found company are serial offenders in obtaining fees for unsolicited services . Taking payment from mobile billing account without autherisation. I have been with o2 for many years with 4 family phone tariffs am worried and out of pocket £40.50 + any other charges this week. Have placed a stop . As i have just gone onto half pay as caring for terminally ill husband. These rogue charges couldn't have happened at a worse time.
Of course I'll try to claim money back but my time should be dedicated to my husband not spending hours emailing the scammers trying to get reimbursement!!!😠
Message 1 of 12
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

Hi @Lozza

Please have a look at these links:

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/Have-you-fallen-for-or-been-conned-into-a-premium-rate-s...

and

https://payforitsucks.co.uk/

which may be of assistance to you.

If you have not already done so, may I suggest you ring Customer Services and ask them to put a bar to premium rate numbers on your phone to ensure this doesn't happen again. Best time to ring is 8am to avoid a long wait on the phone.

I also know several long-time members have asked that a 2-step verification system should be in place which would prevent this from happening in the first place. We are still waiting.

Hope the above links provide you with the help you need and welcome to the forum Welcome

Edited to add: 

Having reread your post @Lozza can I just add that O2 would have no way of knowing these charges were in any way suspicious as some people do actually want, and are happy to pay for, the services these companies provide. This is where a 2-step verification system would be beneficial.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

Hi @Lozza

Please have a look at these links:

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/Have-you-fallen-for-or-been-conned-into-a-premium-rate-s...

and

https://payforitsucks.co.uk/

which may be of assistance to you.

If you have not already done so, may I suggest you ring Customer Services and ask them to put a bar to premium rate numbers on your phone to ensure this doesn't happen again. Best time to ring is 8am to avoid a long wait on the phone.

I also know several long-time members have asked that a 2-step verification system should be in place which would prevent this from happening in the first place. We are still waiting.

Hope the above links provide you with the help you need and welcome to the forum Welcome

Edited to add: 

Having reread your post @Lozza can I just add that O2 would have no way of knowing these charges were in any way suspicious as some people do actually want, and are happy to pay for, the services these companies provide. This is where a 2-step verification system would be beneficial.

Message 2 of 12

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93213 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6969 Solutions

These type of threads are coming thick and fast now. Ask customer service to place a block on 'charge to mobile ' to prevent further scams.

Message 3 of 12

Lozza
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks for advice bar requested and UME contacted re reimbursement. After several emails in which they kept blaming activation on me i asked why would i pay for a service at £4.50 a week that i have never used . No answer to question but have finally made offer to recompense full amount . Previous offers were £18 then £20 . Just have to see if repayment code is sent in next 7 days to collect from post office🤔A 2 stage verification would definitely be the way forward. Or simply O2 advise on blocking paid for services when setting up your mobile account.
Message 4 of 12

Glory1
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions

@Lozza wrote:
Thanks for advice bar requested and UME contacted re reimbursement. After several emails in which they kept blaming activation on me i asked why would i pay for a service at £4.50 a week that i have never used . No answer to question but have finally made offer to recompense full amount . Previous offers were £18 then £20 . Just have to see if repayment code is sent in next 7 days to collect from post office🤔A 2 stage verification would definitely be the way forward. Or simply O2 advise on blocking paid for services when setting up your mobile account.

Thanks @Lozza for keeping us updated and I'm pleased UME have agreed to reimburse you in full, as they should have done from the start.

Message 5 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122891 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@Lozza

Totally agree with you re a two step verification process. Some other networks use this, so why not O2?

As customers like yourself we have been requesting it for a long time. Sadly, it falls on deaf ears.

When you call customer services re the bars to your account, there are two you need to request.

• Bar all Direct to Bill Debits(this will stop any further scam sites charging you)
  • Premium Bar (calls to premium numbers, 090, 070 etc.)

Pleased to hear you have been refunded though. wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 6 of 12

Lozza
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Payment made and collected at post office. Thanks again for advice
Message 7 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122891 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Good to hear @Lozza wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 12

Mobi_planetscam
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Ive been scammed by these people.for plus 13 months. Im devasted. What can i do. Over 26.pound per month

I.spoke 2 o2 today and they said they can barr them. It took me preasure to get the guy to do it. Months back i asked and 02 said i have to contact them. Why cudnt they barr for me then? Inhave mental.health issues aswell and money is very tight. What can i do i need help.
Message 9 of 12

Mobi_planetscam
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I have been with 02 for 13 years. Please help
Message 10 of 12