cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time to resolve signal issues

Anonymous
Not applicable

I moved to O2 about 3 months ago however have been very disapointed with the coverage.

From the first day of having issues i logged into the Network Status where it stated "high service demand in the area. Hope to be resolved soon". 3 month's on and my patience is wearing thin. 2G coverage is fairly bearable however 3G is useless. I have tried a new handset and a new sim card but issue persists.

Whilst i accept the T's & C's that the network doesn't guarantee service everywhere, surely network issues such as high demand should be resolved within a suitable time frame? 3 months DEFINATELY isnt a suitable time frame.

Currently i have a handset advertised as a smartphone but cannot use any of the smartphone features. 

Message 1 of 67
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

One of the bits of advice we do give to people thinking of joining any network or moving home etc is to obtain a payg SIM card to try out the signal where they work, live and commute as the network maps are for indication only.

The network is suffering from mast congestion as they upgrade the masts too.

Download the MYNETWORK app to report the masts.

A help link with generic help tips http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Self-help-guide-Is-the-network-down-for-me-or-ev...

O2 have been known to give goodwill gestures for prolonged downtime by ringing customer service on 202.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 67
66 REPLIES 66

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

One of the bits of advice we do give to people thinking of joining any network or moving home etc is to obtain a payg SIM card to try out the signal where they work, live and commute as the network maps are for indication only.

A help link with generic help tips http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Self-help-guide-Is-the-network-down-for-me-or-ev...

O2 have been known to give goodwill gestures for prolonged downtime by ringing customer service on 202.
Message 2 of 67

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Hi

A help link with generic help tips http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Self-help-guide-Is-the-network-down-for-me-or-everyone/m-p/593752#M59833

Having watched a recent Countryfile programm on BBC TV I was amazed at how widespread the poor or non-existent signal problem is all over the country.  It is surely damned well near time that companies like O2 should be prevented by law from selling products and services to customers who live and work in areas that they know are not properly served with an adequate signal infrastructure.  Random good-will gestures are not the answer, and it most certainly should not be left to the customer to determine if a good quality signal is available.  I know it is spitting in the wind (or words to that effect) but a little integrity in business would go a long way and it would be nice if O2 could for once set an example.

Gerry

(Failed idealist and bar)  

Message 3 of 67

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Gerry

I appreciate your thoughts on the subject and such topics have been discussed before especially by people who are in fringe areas.

A goodwill gesture at least leaves a person less out of Pocket.

However I disagree with you about checking out networks. It is down to the individual to do some homework before committing to a contract on what network provides the best signal then best tariffs and preferred handset.

A thread I created http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Off-topic/News-Rural-Broadband-How-the-money-will-be-spent/m-p/632256/h...
Message 4 of 67

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144180 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

@Anonymous you have my full empathy...

I live in a not so small town and out town centre mast has been "overloaded" for 11 months now.

(I had an amusing time in my local Halfords trying to redeem a Priority offer as I couldn't get a signal, but that's another story).

Anyway, the point is that yes, 3 months is a long time, but not the longest and until the network upgrades are completed I don't see any respite, unfortunately.

Checking signal strength is all well and good but in some cases (as mine) you can have great signal and no network connection and as this is a capacity issue it doesn't even show as a fault all the time (only when many people complain)......

I always used to get a great service in town and I still do at 4.00am when the majority of townsfolk are in bed wink

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 67

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Hi Gerry

However I disagree with you about checking out networks. It is down to the individual to do some homework before committing to a contract

Hi @Anonymous Certainly anyone contemplating a major purchase is well-advised to do some research but equally organisations like O2 could and should be much more open and honest about the level of service they are offering.  They, if anyone, should know perfectly well and in considerable detail, which areas their signal will or will not reach and they should be up front at  the point of sale to make that clear.  They should also introduce a charging system that reflects efficiency of their signal rather than grudgingly responding in a few cases to make a "goodwill" gesture in which goodwill is not in fact involved.

But we can agree to disagree Uncle BoB, and I apreciate both your passion for your subject and the diligent way you seek to offer good advice and assistance.  Pity O2 would not take a leaf out of your book!!

Gerry

Message 6 of 67

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm glad we 'agree' @Anonymous

slight_smile
Message 7 of 67

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Three months is far too long and I too suffer from the connection and congestion problems. Have you made an official complaint via the link in my signature or at the bottom of the page? 

Message 8 of 67

Anonymous
Not applicable

Before moving to O2 I looked into the signal locally and it looked very good. I also borrowed a handset to test signal.

The trouble is that since this, the network has had serious congestion issues which has prevented me from utilising the advertised features of the phone. Therefore, i am paying for services/features that i am unable to use until i am at home in WiFi (defeats of the object of a "mobile" phone).

Does the network have a legal obligation to resolve issues within a certain time? Whilst their T's & C's understandibly state issues may occur, surely after 3 months these should have been resolved?

Do they have a legal duty to fulfill their service levels within a reasonable time?

Message 9 of 67

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

Yes congestion we think is causing issues although nothing official has been released by the network.

They say they'll remedy any issue as quickly as possible regarding masts.

Ie "We may also carry out upgrades, repairs and maintenance works to our Network from time to time. Sometimes technical issues or outages on our Network can occur. If something goes wrong, we'll try to fix it quickly."
Message 10 of 67