cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking of leaving O2 after 6 years

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I notice that the Iphone 5 offer whereby you need to "buy-out" your existing 3G contract in order to move to a 4G when it comes available is now being offered.  I am due an upgrade in January (1 month early!).  I contacted yourselves to discuss an early move to an Iphone 5, given that the HTC desire I have has caused me problems from day one, but because I put the sim in it your customer service reps would change the phone so have had to cope with it! 

Given that I have been with O2 for so long I would have thought a 3 month early upgrade would have been possible, however your telephone support were nothing short of rude, and given the latest situation whereby when I do move to an Iphone 5 I would after 6 months have to buy out my contract to move to 4G I see no reason for me to stay with O2 when my contract expires in January. 

Dave

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143429 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
If you can find a better deal elsewhere, go for it.... It's all about getting the best price and coverage for your needs.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi,

I notice that the Iphone 5 offer whereby you need to "buy-out" your existing 3G contract in order to move to a 4G when it comes available is now being offered.  I am due an upgrade in January (1 month early!).  I contacted yourselves to discuss an early move to an Iphone 5, given that the HTC desire I have has caused me problems from day one, but because I put the sim in it your customer service reps would change the phone so have had to cope with it! 

Given that I have been with O2 for so long I would have thought a 3 month early upgrade would have been possible, however your telephone support were nothing short of rude, and given the latest situation whereby when I do move to an Iphone 5 I would after 6 months have to buy out my contract to move to 4G I see no reason for me to stay with O2 when my contract expires in January. 

Dave

If the contract you agreed to didn't contain a 3-month early upgrade, why do you suddenly expect that they would?  The terms of the contract are set in stone, once signed to.  

Just because a new phone comes out doesn't mean that O2 are going to let you upgrade to it when you're not due to.  

Suppose it came out with a year left to run on your contract, would you still expect them to let you upgrade because you're unable to wait?

Message 3 of 9

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Customer services saying no = rude, I think I get it. Smiley Indifferent

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 4 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Technically that is not my issue.

I was with Carphone Warehouse on a contract for 2 years - my contract always allowed a 3 monthly early upgrade as I am on a £36 a month contract.  During my 2nd year O2 take over my contract and all of a sudden when I call to start the process of upgrading I am told that my 3 monthly early contract has been changed to 1 monthly only, for the first time in 6 years!

I have no issue with them saying No, what I don't expect is to be spoken to like I am something they have trodden in and continually repeat the same message to me.  If I wanted that I could speak to some of the students I sometimes teach.  I also am surprised that the terms of the contract actually changed when O2 took over.

As it happens I have spoken to Customer Service and there is something that can be done, given the issue outlined above. 

Dave

Message 5 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am also going to be leaving O2 as soon as i possibly can after 7 years of being with them, last year my upgrade was due the day before the new iphone 4s came out, nice timing for me. But to my shock the tariffs were a absolute rip off. after being on hold for 6 hours to upgrade (i guarantee 95% of the other people calling that day were idiots trying to buy out their contract for the new iphone, not genuine like me who actually had their upgrade due) i stupidly bought a new 18 month contract for £38 a month and THEN i had to buy my data! WHAT!? An iphone is based 90% on data! Im still bashing my head against the wall at my utter stupidity that i bought this contract.

I have no interest in the iphone 5 as its pretty much the same as the iphone 4s, but as soon as i can get out of this contract in going to 3, on pay as u go. They offer much better value for money because at the moment im paying a stupid £46 a month for minutes and text i actually dont even touch.

Ive tried to see if i could change my contract to something with lower allowances by calling customer services, but they offer no customer service at all. They can obviously see that the contract isnt right for me and seen as i have been a customer for so many years i would think they would be a bit more obliging to loyal customers, Which actually brings me to my next complaint....new customers can get a sim with all them mins, data and text (that i pay £46 for a month) for a tenner a month! You are having a f'ing laugh o2. sort this crap out and look after your customers before trying to entail more. idiots.

Message 6 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm thinking of leaving O2, because i can find better deals on other networks, and get unlimited data. It seems that O2 won't be reducing prices for the loyal costumers and there is no point to stay with them.

Message 7 of 9

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92917 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

That's fair comment. I would however suggest getting a few other network P&G sims to find out the best coverage for normal locale.

Message 8 of 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

I was also considering leaving o2 sometime ago but a phone call to retentions got me a good deal they didn't really alter the monthly cost much but threw in enough extras to keep me happy may not be what you are looking for though

Message 9 of 9