cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terminating contract

Anonymous
Not applicable
My contract ends in September this year. I can go for a £90 refresh if I upgrade today. However, I wish to terminate my phone contract and go PAYG as I'll need the extra money for rent etc.

I was just wondering if the termination fee would be more or less than the refresh upgrade? Or if I upgrade, can I cancel that contract immediately without a cancellation fee? Thanks.
Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

The termination fee would be the number of months remaining (6 months in your case) multiplied by the monthly tariff. If you are on refresh type contract you can just pay off the handset part of the contract and give 30 days notice.

If you upgrade early you cannot terminate the contract unless you pay off the handset as all new contracts would be Refresh. You would also lose the £90 early upgrade fee.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi @Anonymous

Welcome to the Community. You have two different questions here.

1. You see that you have an option to "speed to refresh". Assuming you are not currently on a refresh contract then the figure you are quoted by o2 to pay off your contract includes a 25% discount. If you were to cancel and go to payg then you would have to pay off the remainder of your contract which (based on the £90 you mention) would be about £120.

If you upgrade then you will be entering into a new refresh contract so you could not do that without incurring the speed to refresh fee.

However if you upgraded and then paid off your device in full immediately then you are free to cancel your airtime agreement or go payg without paying another termination fee (but you would have to pay the £90 speed to refresh fee in order to upgrade).

Hope that makes sense
Message 2 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 122366 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous  Welcome to the forum

There is some information about cancelling your contract here

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Cancelling-Your-Contract-A-Guide/m-p/566774/highlight/true#M56526

You really need to contact Customer services tomorrow and discuss your options with them. It's difficult to say what would be the best option without access to your account

http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 8

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

The termination fee would be the number of months remaining (6 months in your case) multiplied by the monthly tariff. If you are on refresh type contract you can just pay off the handset part of the contract and give 30 days notice.

If you upgrade early you cannot terminate the contract unless you pay off the handset as all new contracts would be Refresh. You would also lose the £90 early upgrade fee.

Message 4 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi @Anonymous I hope you find the information above useful. Let us know if you still have more questions. Welcome to the community!
Message 5 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Sort of, I'll just leave it and wait for the contract to terminate in September. One last question, do I have to contact O2 to end the contract, so as it doesn't renew, or do they contact you asking to renew?
Message 6 of 8

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

You need to give 30 days notice otherwise it will just carry on as a rolling 30 day monthly contract.

Message 7 of 8

MI5
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
O2 won't contact you - You will have to call them or they will assume you want it to continue.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 8