cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden data usage

Anonymous
Not applicable
Got text today saying I'd used 80% of my data allowance. I don't usually use more than 20% in a month - but right now I'm
Only 10 days in to my month.

I'm rarely not in wifi areas, I don't have wifi assist switched on, I don't have wifi/4g calling activated, I have switched off data use for non-essential apps and my iPhone data usage hasn't increased dramatically since a week ago when my flat mate had the same problem and I looked at it.

Has anyone else had this issue? Is there something wrong with O2 as I'm now the third person I know who has had this happen to them unexpectedly.

Thanks.
Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

There hasn't been much cause to praise O2 recently but well done on this occasion 😀

Message 21 of 26

RSparkles
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, 

I just had the same problem. I sent a message on the FB page and the CSR told me that as my usage is based on my SIM it has to be correct. However, when I look at my usage under systems settings it comes no where near the usage that O2 says I've used. I just don't understand how I could suddenly use 9GB of data in one day. If anyone has had their issue resolved and can tell me what I should do, I would greatly appreciate it. slight_smile

Message 22 of 26

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Send screen shots to O2 and ask them to investigate.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 23 of 26

RSparkles
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thank you MI5! I have just sent them a message on Facebook with some screenshots. Hopefully they will investigate.
Message 24 of 26

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Good luck and let us know please.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 25 of 26

Adacymru
Level 1: Joiner
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I might be too late with my response but I complained via email to: complaintreviewservice@o2.com - I'm not technically minded therefore I explained my issue in very simple terms, hoping that logic would prevail and it worked. Interesting issue- my husband had the same issue after changing contracts this year - he was apparently going through 4Gb of the contracted data within 10 days, whilst using bare minimum of the bought extra data for the reminder of the month, with the same pattern of his internet use throughout the month. He eventually complained and was given extra 2Gb for free, and his usage now does not appear to exceed 2Gb per month...

A few of months ago, I began getting the same messages again that on day 20 my data was used. I refused to buy extra data, luckily I have wi-fi in work so no major disruption occurred to my internet access. For three months I carried on boycotting purchasing extra data, and surprise surprise, normal service resumed and it seems that I'm not using my full allowance even though my pattern of use remans the same.

Message 26 of 26