cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sudden data usage

Anonymous
Not applicable
Got text today saying I'd used 80% of my data allowance. I don't usually use more than 20% in a month - but right now I'm
Only 10 days in to my month.

I'm rarely not in wifi areas, I don't have wifi assist switched on, I don't have wifi/4g calling activated, I have switched off data use for non-essential apps and my iPhone data usage hasn't increased dramatically since a week ago when my flat mate had the same problem and I looked at it.

Has anyone else had this issue? Is there something wrong with O2 as I'm now the third person I know who has had this happen to them unexpectedly.

Thanks.
Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am also experincing this problem, I always have low usage on my 1 GB allowance (£15 in sept, £24 in August and suddely it has shot up to £160 in Oct. No changes to my normal usage. I have been told that 02 are investigating and will get back to me in 5 days. Not very happy!angry

Message 11 of 26

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144295 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
£160 for data?
Are you a business customer?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 26

jonsie
  • 93217 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6975 Solutions

It's has to be a business account as data just stops on consumer accounts. 

Message 13 of 26

MI5
  • 144295 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
Yeah, that's why I was checking.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 14 of 26

Adacymru
Level 1: Joiner
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I had 2GB data until June 2017 but for years my usage hadn't gone over a 1/4 of it and only very occasionally it reached 1GB. I signed new contract in June and suddenly (with no change to my internet usage) I'm out of data within 10 days and have to top up, paying extra. Of interest however is the fact that with the same pattern of usage whilst I'm out of my contracted data within 10 days, I seem to be then using only minimal amount of the data I pay extra with frequent final usage being just 1.1GB in a month.

How is it that with the same pattern of usage, 1GB dissappears within 10 days but then I only need 0.1 GB in the next 20 days of the month?

I went to ask in O2 shop and after being patronised with claims that my "data is used as there is 4G now everywhere" and no explanation as to why the same 4G does not eat the rest of my data as quickly in the remaining period, I left none the wiser and told to "complain".

It is begining to look like O2 is forcing customers into more expensive tariffs or contracts by diminishing the data that is afforded in the contract- if you keep having to top up, you're bound to change eventually to more expensive tariff... it seems.

Message 15 of 26

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12067 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions
Do you have an iPhone @Adacymru?
I only ask as there is an issue with them using data more quickly than they should.
You can also check what is using your data in your settings.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 16 of 26

Adacymru
Level 1: Joiner
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I have Samsung 5, my husband has S7 and the same issue since changing to a lower tariff.
Message 17 of 26

Adacymru
  • 8 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Well... following reading of this and other threads on here, and probably "motivated" by the lack of appropriate response from the shop staff, I issued a complaint email to O2, repeating what I had posted here (I tried the live chat online option but all I got was "sorry we're busy" for 30 minutes, so went on to make a complaint).

Yesterday, I had a reply by email (I had a missed call during the day but I was unable to answer) advising me that my complaint was upheld. I have been assured that I'd be refunded for all top-ups of data I bought since the problem started (since the change of allowance) + £30 towards my bill to apologise for my problems. I have also been upgraded to 2GB allowance with no extra charge and no change to my contract start. Apparently, I should have been given that option in O2 shop, when I visited last weekend. They could not however tell me how my data was used previously to see what had been eating my allowance in 10 days, whilst leaving alone my topped up data for the reminder of the month.

I'll observe my data usage for now, in case there is a repeat of the disappearing 2GB data now, forcing me to buy extra but for now, I'm happy with the response.

If not for reading here about similar issues, I would probably plough through, so thanks guys! Merry Christmas!

Message 18 of 26

Cleoriff
  • 122895 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

@AdacymruNow that's what I call a positive outcome. So pleased this has been sorted for you. (O2 must be feeling the 'Christmas spirit') Good idea to monitor your usage from now on... Merry Christmas to you as well...santa

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 19 of 26

MI5
  • 144295 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
Excellent news slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 20 of 26