cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange Text Message from O2

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I've recived a text that appears to be from O2 which has simply a paperclip (attachment like) and the word THANK_YOU_... does this sound legit? I haven't opened it yet just in case

Message 1 of 12
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
I wouldn't open it tbh.
If your phone is stagefright vulnerable it could be something nasty.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
I wouldn't open it tbh.
If your phone is stagefright vulnerable it could be something nasty.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Have you bought anything recently?

I will ask @MI5 or @jonsie if they know what it could be? As I have no idea...and like you I wouldn't open it

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Ah well...you see how quick @MI5 was? There before I finished typing Bouncy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 12

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
If you are really curious download and check for stagefright https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zimperium.stagefrightdetector&hl=en
If phone is not vulnerable it prob won't hurt you but all the same if I wasn't expecting anything I'd just delete it.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable

The really annoying thing is I popped into the O2 Fareham shop today (as I was passing) and an assistant there was telling me it would be fine as it came up as O2 on my phone. He then went on with some nonsense about how he'd just remembered that O2 were starting a new promotion thanking regular customers etc.. He was going to open it on my screen and I had to pull the phone away to stop him. I told him I wasn't opening it till I was sure and he said he coudln't help me any futhur. Strange behaviour.

Message 6 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122832 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

In that sort of situation it is always better to be safe than sorry..If you weren't expecting anything from O2 then sending you a text with a paper clip attached sounds very fishy to me...I wouldn't even be tempted to open it..

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 12

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

He was going to open it on my screen and I had to pull the phone away to stop him. I told him I wasn't opening it till I was sure and he said he coudln't help me any futhur. Strange behaviour.

Very irresponsible of him......

Currently using:
Message 8 of 12

Poppysmum
Level 19: Quirky
  • 1332 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 7 Solutions

I would have deleted the text straight away .

Message 9 of 12

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

If the O2 assistant was so eager to open the attachment I guess he would have been happy to give you a new phone if the attachment contained malware....not.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 10 of 12