Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Split sim

SplitSim
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
I have just moved from 3 to o2 and I believe I have a split sim. I can make calls and it uses my old number that is transferred over. I cannot receive any calls or messages and my iPhone does not recognise the new number (it keeps telling me to update my number to the temporary number that no longer works). I checked my old sim and it had no signal so it should be transferred over. The temporary number is also no longer in use.

When people call it immediately says the number is not recognised but I am able to call them.

I have rebooted several times, changed the phone number in the settings, toggled messaging on/off and waited but to no avail.

Would really appreciate a fix for this! It seems there are no contact numbers either at the moment so would really appreciate any help.
Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

SplitSim
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I have no idea why either.

This is the final update for anyone wondering: 

The issue was investigated and I was told my sim transfer was fully transferred from 3. I received e-mail updates, kindly, from one of the specific representatives (Bhaskar who really helped things along) and I was told if there were any issues still arising to contact o2. 

There were still issues - my iPhone had issues activating iMessage and FaceTime with the sim and I got an "error occured during activation" message. This did not go away for 24 hours and started when I originally put the sim in 6 days previously. I had done everything in my power to fix it (I toggled it on/off; restarted my phone many times; contacted Apple and confirmed it was not a handset issue; used a different sim from a different network in my phone that worked - it registered the other sim and the number as proof that the issue was with the o2 carrier; I toggled date and time; signed out of iCloud and did everything possible on my end).

So I contacted o2 for yet another time, only to be met with complete disregard and indifference. I cited my reference number and explained the issue likely need to be escalated, as it said in the e-mail to go to the back-end team. I explained all the things I had already done to my phone that clearly was not working. The representative ignored all of this and continued to repeat all the steps I had already done, which I did again. I requested it got escalated or for an alternative solution and was told that nothing could be done and the issue was not with o2 despite me saying that I had tried another sim that worked fine. 

The solution: I requested a new sim despite the reluctance. I knew the issue was with o2 and so I thought a last ditch attempt would be to request a new sim with my number already transferred onto it. My number was put onto the sim and sent out to me and I had a day without signal as my sim transferred over. I put the new sim in with my number transferred and it worked! The number finally activated with iMessage and FaceTime and after 1 week of constant calls and chats with o2. 

Overall, a very stressful experience and filled with frustration. Trying to get help from o2 is like pulling teeth. 

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

SplitSim
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions
^and FaceTime and iMessage are “waiting for activation” since there is no number to attach to so the phone number definitely didn’t transfer properly and caused widespread issues
Message 2 of 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

@SplitSim 

Numbers to try here Guide: Coronavirus Community Help and Support 

Call at 8.00am and say fraud or upgrade to get put through.

It's likely that Three will have to resend the porting files but this is unlikely to happen until Monday now.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 6

SplitSim
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

Thank you for replying MI5. Unfortunately, I wish I could say it was any help but it led to ongoing frustration!

I called on Saturday and was told it would be resolved within 24 hours. It was not so I called again on Sunday and was told they would follow up on Monday morning. They did not call me so I contacted them (for a 5th time since this began). They put me on hold for over an hour and a half and I got nowhere so I hung up. 

It is not the customer service representatives, who have always been kind and patient, but o2 seems to not have the systems in place to make it easier or direct. I suspect the representatives have little help either.   

I finally got hold of someone from the complaints team who has requested the issue is investigated so I will hopefully have a resolution soon. 

Message 4 of 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

@SplitSim 

Don't know why you were told 24 hours on Saturday as nothing would happen over the weekend as I said before.

Ports are handled by a 3rd party and they don't work at weekends.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 6

SplitSim
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

I have no idea why either.

This is the final update for anyone wondering: 

The issue was investigated and I was told my sim transfer was fully transferred from 3. I received e-mail updates, kindly, from one of the specific representatives (Bhaskar who really helped things along) and I was told if there were any issues still arising to contact o2. 

There were still issues - my iPhone had issues activating iMessage and FaceTime with the sim and I got an "error occured during activation" message. This did not go away for 24 hours and started when I originally put the sim in 6 days previously. I had done everything in my power to fix it (I toggled it on/off; restarted my phone many times; contacted Apple and confirmed it was not a handset issue; used a different sim from a different network in my phone that worked - it registered the other sim and the number as proof that the issue was with the o2 carrier; I toggled date and time; signed out of iCloud and did everything possible on my end).

So I contacted o2 for yet another time, only to be met with complete disregard and indifference. I cited my reference number and explained the issue likely need to be escalated, as it said in the e-mail to go to the back-end team. I explained all the things I had already done to my phone that clearly was not working. The representative ignored all of this and continued to repeat all the steps I had already done, which I did again. I requested it got escalated or for an alternative solution and was told that nothing could be done and the issue was not with o2 despite me saying that I had tried another sim that worked fine. 

The solution: I requested a new sim despite the reluctance. I knew the issue was with o2 and so I thought a last ditch attempt would be to request a new sim with my number already transferred onto it. My number was put onto the sim and sent out to me and I had a day without signal as my sim transferred over. I put the new sim in with my number transferred and it worked! The number finally activated with iMessage and FaceTime and after 1 week of constant calls and chats with o2. 

Overall, a very stressful experience and filled with frustration. Trying to get help from o2 is like pulling teeth. 

Message 6 of 6