Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spammed by bill notifications

Gisnep666
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, I've been an O2 Pay Monthly customer for many years.

Every month I receive a text message and an email from O2 telling me that my bill is ready to pay. I used to have the awful My O2 app installed as well and that started sending me notifications at the same time as well, and of course they couldn't be turned off.

I don't need notifications. I have a direct debit set up and I never miss a payment.

I must have called in ten times over the years trying to get them to stop and every time I'm told "OK, we've turned them off for you", but nothing ever changes.

I just got off a chat with a Guru who told me "the messages are sent by the system so they can't be turned off".

Is this normal? Does every Pay Monthly customer receive two – even three – reminders to pay a bill they already have a DD set up for?

It's bordering on harassment. I want it to stop.

Does anyone know how to kill the messages?

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

JascaDucato
Level 2: Apprentice
  • 13 Posts
  • 3 Topics
  • 1 Solutions

A touch late in replying, but for what it's worth: You can call CS and ask them to stop notifying you by any of the manners you've addressed. For instance, I was in the same position as you but was able to have them stop sending me email notifications, specifically.

This was quite a year or so ago now, though.

Message 11 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable
It’s a legal requirement as presented on page one of this thread so can’t really be removed
Message 12 of 21

Foddersin
Level 3: Thinker
  • 68 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Customer service can only prevent marketing and sale as has already been stated by law they are required to inform you that the bill is ready as it is a variable amount and not fixed.
Kindest Regards,
Andrew.
Samsung Galaxy S10+ on O2 UK
Nokia 1 Plus on O2 UK
Message 13 of 21

Ant1
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Is it really a legal requirement to send me an email, a text message AND an app notification all saying the exact same thing? I very much doubt it.

One of these methods would suffice and would surely satisfy this apparent "legal requirement". I don't need to be told three times in one day that my bill is ready.
Message 14 of 21

Ant1
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Is it really a legal requirement to send me an email, a text message AND an app notification all saying the exact same thing? I very much doubt it.

One of these methods would suffice and would surely satisfy this apparent "legal requirement". I don't need to be told three times in one day that my bill is ready.
Message 15 of 21

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35218 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

@Ant1 wrote:

Love the double-post to make the point, @Ant1 LOL

Seriously, an SMS, an App reminder AND an E-MAIL, and a Google Assistant reminder based on the e-mail, for a bill payment does seem to be overkill... But it does not annoy me, TBH. 

Message 16 of 21

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
I only get an email so not spammed at all.
Call customer service and change your contact preferences.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 17 of 21

Ant1
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

sweat_smile Honestly, the double post was not intentional but hopefully strengthens my point!

Message 18 of 21

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35218 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
I only get an email so not spammed at all.
Call customer service and change your contact preferences.

Frankly, less hassle to put up with the notifications than to try to explain to CS esactly which notification(s) you don't want.

YMMV.

Message 19 of 21

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143438 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
I must be lucky then slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 20 of 21