Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spammed by bill notifications

Gisnep666
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi, I've been an O2 Pay Monthly customer for many years.

Every month I receive a text message and an email from O2 telling me that my bill is ready to pay. I used to have the awful My O2 app installed as well and that started sending me notifications at the same time as well, and of course they couldn't be turned off.

I don't need notifications. I have a direct debit set up and I never miss a payment.

I must have called in ten times over the years trying to get them to stop and every time I'm told "OK, we've turned them off for you", but nothing ever changes.

I just got off a chat with a Guru who told me "the messages are sent by the system so they can't be turned off".

Is this normal? Does every Pay Monthly customer receive two – even three – reminders to pay a bill they already have a DD set up for?

It's bordering on harassment. I want it to stop.

Does anyone know how to kill the messages?

Message 1 of 21
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143442 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Gisnep666 

Yes, everyone gets these, it's a legal requirement to let customers know how much will be taken by direct debit at least 2 weeks before payment is taken.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 21
20 REPLIES 20

MI5
  • 143442 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions

@Gisnep666 

Yes, everyone gets these, it's a legal requirement to let customers know how much will be taken by direct debit at least 2 weeks before payment is taken.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 21

Gisnep666
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have trouble believing that unless there's some by-law specifically for mobile phone networks.
I don't receive reminders for my mortgage, why do I need two different methods for my phone?

Message 3 of 21

MI5
  • 143442 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Your mortgage is a fixed amount monthly so not required. If interest rate changes you will be notified by bank.
Mobile bill can be variable so is required https://www.directdebit.co.uk/DirectDebitExplained/pages/directdebitguarantee.aspx

Currently using:
Message 4 of 21

Gisnep666
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Well that's incredibly annoying but your logic is solid. Thanks for the correction.
I'll still be interested to see if anyone else is being double-teamed like this, though.

Message 5 of 21

MI5
  • 143442 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Like I said already, everyone gets the same notifications - email and app.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I get them & I find it useful actually 

Message 7 of 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

My Internet Service Provider does the same thing (they e-mail to tell me the direct debit amount) but as has been said it's a legal requirement so that the customer can never say the amount was debited without their knowledge.

I see your point but others find it useful.

Message 8 of 21

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10674 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Hello @Gisnep666 

My ISP sends me a bill by email to tell me it will be called for on "date"

this is proper.  It also gives some customers time to check their bank account

and make sure there are suffient funds to meet the DD.

I also think it is a legal requirement and it should be.

My ISP is not O2 

I have a mobile contract with O2 Pay Monthly I don't mind being informed.

Best wishes

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 9 of 21

pgn
Level 74: Whizz kid
  • 35224 Posts
  • 224 Topics
  • 1558 Solutions

My Electricity Supplier also lets me know 2 weeks ahead of payment date how much the current quarter has cost me to keep the lights on and the fridge and boiler going for the preceding 3 months. (Variable amount again, y'see).

Ditto ISP and telecomms provider.

Building and Contents insurance is only done at renewal time, annually.

Message 10 of 21