Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sim swap to keep number

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12069 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions

So I've recently taken the plunge and got a new phone, but as I got it through a 3rd party (way cheaper than directly through o2) it came with a new sim and new number.

Not a problem - I'd already checked with o2 CS (phone, not live chat) and they said to call up to swap it all over once I'd got it.

Just called - current wait is over 30 minutes. Maybe not then...

So tried the swap my sim on line. Enter old phone number, text code and new sim card number only to get an error message - We are already doing a sim swap for your phone number.

Odd, I've not asked to do one already. 

Has anyone seen this before and any suggestions? Should I wait or keep trying CS?

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 1 of 58
57 REPLIES 57

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12069 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions
so, quick update (only just got on to post!!)...

spoke to someone on live chat (took my life in my hands there, but again with a 30 minute wait thought I would try them first).
actually helpful and answered the question.
while I have had my "final bill" (ie, the scheduled final bill with the last payment for the device plan) the DD has not left my account yet (due the end of the week).
I had previously been told that swapping number would close the account and generate an actual final bill, including the device payment.
not so.
only once the device is paid off will the swap happen and the number transfer.
so, if anyone else is doing this (taking out new contract with 3rd party to get it cheaper) then I would recommend either waiting until the device plan is finished (you are in month 25 of the contract) or pay off the device plan separately first.
this would then avoid my situation!!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 41 of 58

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93223 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

Thanks for the update.  All very messy and I hope its soon sorted for you mate. 

Message 42 of 58

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23068 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

Deleted by me. Misread the previous post.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 43 of 58

Cleoriff
  • 122909 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

I bet you were just as frustrated that you were unable to update us @gmarkj wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 44 of 58

Bambino
  • 23068 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

No proper mention in your previous post @Cleoriff.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 45 of 58

jonsie
  • 93223 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

All this time the site was down,  no issues have been fixed.  Pathetic! 

Message 46 of 58

Bambino
  • 23068 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

I expect they were up to their eyes in it just trying to get the site live again. Absurd that it was down for so long.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 47 of 58

jonsie
  • 93223 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6976 Solutions

From what I observed,  no other o2 platforms were affected. I find it incredible that I could sign into My O2 but could not automatically sign into the community. Questions need to be asked of Lithium. Sorry for going off topic Mark but it makes me so angry. 

I really hope Live Chat sort the number change and final bill for you.

Message 48 of 58

Cleoriff
  • 122909 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

No proper mention in your previous post @Cleoriff.

No it was done via mobile on Chrome @Bambino Mentions rarely work on that platform

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 49 of 58

MI5
  • 144315 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

@gmarkj wrote:
only once the device is paid off will the swap happen and the number transfer.
so, if anyone else is doing this (taking out new contract with 3rd party to get it cheaper) then I would recommend either waiting until the device plan is finished (you are in month 25 of the contract) or pay off the device plan separately first.
this would then avoid my situation!!

That makes sense and to be honest I think we had assumed you'd done that already.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 50 of 58