Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sim swap to keep number

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12069 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions

So I've recently taken the plunge and got a new phone, but as I got it through a 3rd party (way cheaper than directly through o2) it came with a new sim and new number.

Not a problem - I'd already checked with o2 CS (phone, not live chat) and they said to call up to swap it all over once I'd got it.

Just called - current wait is over 30 minutes. Maybe not then...

So tried the swap my sim on line. Enter old phone number, text code and new sim card number only to get an error message - We are already doing a sim swap for your phone number.

Odd, I've not asked to do one already. 

Has anyone seen this before and any suggestions? Should I wait or keep trying CS?

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 1 of 58
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122918 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

If you are just trying to keep your number have a look at this. It will give you the info for various scenarios

http://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-sims-and-devices/how-to-keep-your-mobile-number

You may have to contact CS though

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 58
57 REPLIES 57

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23071 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

That does sound a little strange @gmarkj. Did you just get a new phone, or did you take out a new contract as well? If it was the latter, did you get the new phone online? Did you give the company you purchased the phone from your current number?

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 58

gmarkj
  • 12069 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions
It was a whole new deal through a 3rd party @Bambino.

I think so, but not sure - and thought as well that this could only be done by CS after it arrived (as they needed both new number and new sim number).

Happy to be corrected if wrong - just wanted some help!!

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Message 3 of 58

Cleoriff
  • 122918 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

If you are just trying to keep your number have a look at this. It will give you the info for various scenarios

http://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-sims-and-devices/how-to-keep-your-mobile-number

You may have to contact CS though

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 58

gmarkj
  • 12069 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions
Thanks @Cleoriff, I've looked at that page but not found my scenario (pay monthly to pay monthly).

Keep trying live chat (yes, I know) but they must be busy as the page dies (pop-up opens but nothing loads).

Guess phoning CS is the only way forward. Hope the hold music is something I like now...

Message 5 of 58

Bambino
  • 23071 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

@gmarkj wrote:
It was a whole new deal through a 3rd party @Bambino.

I think so, but not sure - and thought as well that this could only be done by CS after it arrived (as they needed both new number and new sim number).

Happy to be corrected if wrong - just wanted some help!!

They would definitely need the details from the new sim that you've been given. Is it possible that the company you've taken the new contract out with initiated the swap?

I would suggest that you keep trying CS to get a clarification of what's happening, or if you have easy access and have the time to go to an O2 store, they may be able to do the swap for you there. I would call first, though, as there have been discussions on the forum recently about what you can and cannot do if you go in store.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 6 of 58

gmarkj
  • 12069 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions
@Bambino - not sure. Possibly but didn't think they could swap the number as I was staying with o2...

Well, the 30 minutes either went past really quickly or it just didn't take that long.
Spoke to a helpful chap (not sure on name) who managed to fill out the form on his side to request it and he said it had been put through ok.
Just got to wait and see now...

Message 7 of 58

Cleoriff
  • 122918 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Having checked all the links I am getting the same answer....pay monthly to pay monthly...ring customer services. It may require the sim swap ...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 58

Cleoriff
  • 122918 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Just seen your latest post (I do type slowly) I was about to say ringing now would be the best time...but you have done it already...Bouncy

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 58

Bambino
  • 23071 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

That's good news then @gmarkj. If CS were able fill in the form completely and implement it without getting the error message you were receiving, then the swap should go through. It can take up to 24 hours, but it's usually much quicker than that. Whenever I've done it, it's been activated within the first hour. Give it a little time, then switch your phone off and on again, and keep doing that until the swap takes place. Give it some time between tries. Otherwise you'll get frustrated. Please come back and let us know if you've had any success. Good luck.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 10 of 58