cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sim Only 4G

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi guys,

Firstly, a little unrelated, the live chat is as much use as a chocolate kettle.

Anyway, I'm soon to be a former Orange customer.  I've had enough of their lies/cheats/etc.  But that's a different story.

I have an almost brand new Galaxy S3 I'll be wanting to join O2 with, but I want 4G when it is available on O2 (whenever that is?).  If I get a SIM only deal now, will I be able to upgrade to 4G as soon as it's available or will I need to wait until my contract renews?

Thanks!!

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22

RueDrBouree
Level 4: Observant
  • 45 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 3 Solutions

A few weeks ago I had the use of an iphone 5 with an EE4G sim and I was in an area were there was a strong 4G signal. The speed test app showed that the download speeds were much faster than I get at home with my broadband connection. However for things like Facebook, Twitter, email, BBC news, eBay etc I can't say that I noticed much difference in the speed these apps ran on the iPhone 5 with 4G compared to 3G. 

Maybe 4G is much more valuable if you use your phone to watch video, stream music or as a mobile hotspot?

4G isn't going to be available in my area for a long time so I'm just going to wait this one out. 

Alex

Been an O2 customer (off and on) since 1995
Message 21 of 23

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@RueDrBouree wrote:
4G isn't going to be available in my area for a long time so I'm just going to wait this one out. 

Exactly, why would anyone join a new service before it exists, or am I missing something?

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 22 of 23

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

The only benifit of switching in a non 4g area would be for the extra data included in the 4g tariffs especially if you take the promotional offer before end october (assuming you use all your data now)

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 23 of 23