cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM-only upgrade requires a full credit check?

JCafe404
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi 😊

I've been a SIM-only customer for many years and never got any phones with my upgrades (Because they're just overpriced, in my opinion).
So I couldn't be bothered to change my contract for the past 4 years or so and just kept it rolling until this week. And I thought you know what, let me check my stats and see if I actually would still need this current bundle (Unlimited Data). As it turns out, I never even come close to using 30GB a month, so I thought, let's downgrade to a cheaper option. (I have been paying £32.74; turns out I can save about £10 a month! )

Fast forward: clicked my upgrade message > chose the cheaper bundle > checkout and I got this message: 

You’re likely to pass a credit check
Based on the information we have, we think you’re likely to pass a credit check.
We’ll complete the full credit check when you checkout, which will be recorded as a ‘search’ on your credit file.

Why on earth are they running a credit check? I believe this makes complete sense with a brand new customer, loan/finance/upgrade with new phones etc. But a cheaper SIM-only deal? 🤔
I've been a loyal customer for years, never had any arrears, got a great credit score, and now I just need to accept a drop in my credit score because I want to downgrade and save money... Make it make sense 😢

All I want is to pay less, but to me, this feels like a loyal existing customer means nothing to O2, and they just want me to stay on the more expensive deal and avoid an adjustment to my credit score.

Any advice will be appreciated!

Many thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144659 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27731 Solutions

@JCafe404 

New rules. We have no idea why.

Guide: How to find help & contact O2 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 13

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10229 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3014 Solutions

@JCafe404 

New FCA rules in play which means they need to credit check you and run affordability checks to see if you can afford the payments. It is getting daft I will admit...

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 3 of 13

Enlli
Level 65: Ultra-cool
  • 6659 Posts
  • 49 Topics
  • 1493 Solutions

Same scenario when I upgraded this month.

Waiting for my next Credit Report to see if this was a hard search.

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 4 of 13

MI5
  • 144659 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27731 Solutions

Everyone gets one now when upgrading but I think on a soft check.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 13

Oxonian
Level 28: Ingenious
  • 5943 Posts
  • 102 Topics
  • 22 Solutions

@JCafe404 

You might want to check :-

SIM Only Deals: Compare our best in March 2024 - Uswitch

https://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/compare/sim_only_deals/

There are six O2 deals thereon currently including a 30Gb example :-

Oxonian_0-1711054927834.png

Message 6 of 13

MI5
  • 144659 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27731 Solutions

What does that have to do with credit checks?

Currently using:
Message 7 of 13

jonsie
  • 93252 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

Incidentally even going through USwitch, it redirects you to the O2 website so you can't by-pass any credit checks

Message 8 of 13

MI5
  • 144659 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27731 Solutions

That was my point

Currently using:
Message 9 of 13

JCafe404
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you so much for your response slight_smile I wonder if the change is just simply related to the cost of living crisis, and now everyone just gets checked. 😢 Still very frustrating though..

Message 10 of 13