Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming surcharge within Europe

henry_law
Level 1: Joiner
  • 13 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have been hit with an additional charge. This is what it says on the 02 website.

"Travelling in our Europe Zone

If you’re travelling within our Europe Zone, your data, minutes and texts allowances will work just like they do in the UK. That includes calls you make and receive within our Europe Zone and back to the UK, texts you send within our Europe Zone and back to the UK, and any data you use in our Europe Zone. See the list of destinations included.

What's included?

Included:

• Making calls and sending texts within our Europe Zone (excluding the UK), to any other country in our Europe Zone (including the UK).
  • Receiving calls and texts in our Europe Zone.
  • Using your monthly data allowance whilst in our Europe Zone."

This is obviously not the complete situation. However, I have searched the website to try to discover what is, and am unable to find any information.

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
https://www.ofcom.org.uk/complaints/complain-about-phones-or-internet-services/billing-and-charges
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 21 of 28

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122810 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Fair enough. Another organisation which says one thing on one page and something different on another. No matter, the process remains the same which is the most important thing. As I said, I'm sure using Resolver will take him in the right direction. That's all I'm interested in. 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 22 of 28

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10143 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3004 Solutions
@henry_law

The regulations are now 9 years old (and are now under review for renewal in 2022 as they are only for 10 years) and where only designed as I said for frequent trips abroad, and not for people to keep using in the EU when they moved their.

Their is a simple answer, get a Swedish number and sim card, and cancel your o2 number.

Take it up with your MEP in Sweden, as they may be able to influence the EU Regulations..

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 23 of 28

henry_law
  • 13 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I need the UK mobile number to receive important calls and verifcation codes from the bank, which will not send them to a non-UK number. It is all much more complicated.

Message 24 of 28

henry_law
  • 13 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks. That has to be searched for on a dense page of text.
Message 25 of 28

henry_law
  • 13 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I already have a local SIM but for security reasons I have blocked it for calls to outside Sweden.
Message 26 of 28

henry_law
  • 13 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks
Message 27 of 28

henry_law
  • 13 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I have a Swedish number and that is the one I use most of the time for calls inside Sweden. I need to retain the UK number for when I am in the UK which is normally 4-6 weeks a year and to receive verification codes for bank login and other calls from contacts which have my UK number.

The EU regulations were not designed to deal with unforeseen event such as pandemics, lockdowns and travel bans. In this situation rules like these need to be waived. I never had any problems between 2012 until now with my pattern of usage.
Message 28 of 28