Did you mean: 

Question on O2 Switch Up with insurance phone

Fire3390
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi I was about to sign up to Switch Up.

Quick question - if my phone gets damaged mid-way through a contract. Say I want to upgrade. Obviously they wont take back damaged phone.

If I have phone insurance (either the O2 insurance offered at checkout online, or a third party mobile insurer). Let's say the insurance company fix the phone (e.g. screen replacement) or they replace it with a like-for-like (e.g. same model, different colour phone, Grade A condition but not brand new) - will that be okay?

Would O2 Switch Up accept the "replacement" phone?

Please advise.

Thanks,

Ash.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144410 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

@Fire3390 

Yes, insurance repaired phones are OK

https://www.o2.co.uk/help/pay-monthly/o2-switch-up-faqs

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 2 of 6

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10180 Posts
  • 55 Topics
  • 3012 Solutions

@Fire3390 

If provided by o2 insurance then I cant see it been a problem. It will still need to meet the criteria that is set. 

I think there is some information on this in the switchup guide Guide: Introducing O2 Switch Up. Swap phones whenever you want! 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 3 of 6

MI5
  • 144410 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

From the FAQ I posted.

What happens if my phone doesn’t meet the grading criteria?

We can’t accept and take back any phones that don’t meet our grading criteria. You do, however, have four alternative options:

1. You can make a claim for any damage to your phone through your insurance (as long as you took it out)
  2. You can book your phone in for repair with O2
  3. You can recycle your current phone and offset some of the remaining balance on your plan before you upgrade
  4. You can pay off your existing plan to upgrade early – and you’ll keep your current phone, too

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 6

Fire3390
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks @madasaf1sh , @MI5 . Is this the part of the FAQ that confirms you can use an insurance phone?

What if you haven't had a replacement phone and your insurer simply "repaired the phone" e.g. if they changed the screen.

Would a "repaired" phone which looks in great condition still be okay?

Fire3390_0-1697725175912.png

Message 5 of 6

MI5
  • 144410 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions

@Fire3390 

Yes, as long as it meets the grading criteria as also mentioned in the FAQ's

Currently using:
Message 6 of 6