cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with order and credit check.

Anonymous
Not applicable

On the 9th of September I ordered a galaxy s5 from amazon on the o2 network with a contract for 24 months. Everything went swimmingly well, I passed the credit check and setup the direct debit, the order was dispatched and my phone was set up via o2 (got the number and account details sent to me via email).

Somewhere along the line amazon messed up and sent me the wrong item (not a galaxy s5 and sim). This was resolved with amazon and o2 after some incredibly frustrating telephone calls on my part to both parties. The contract was then terminated with o2.

I figure that now it's all seemingly resolved I can now go ahead and order a telephone again which I did online and now the response is that I will need to pay a deposit.

2 credit applications in 2 weeks probably caused this. Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Thank you in advance.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122901 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

It certainly would be due to  the 2 credit checks. the only thing you could try is contacting CS and explaining the situation. You may find someone willing to help http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus

Or you could leave it and try again later...but you may get the same result?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for super fast reply. Failing getting a telephone I am hoping they would at least be able to remove the credit applications from my record. Not really sure as the situation is quite unusual.

Message 3 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

After speaking to someone -they still want a deposit.

Message 4 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 122901 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

Yes your individual situation is unusual @Anonymous but sadly the repeated applications generating a flag on the O2 system isn't. It's one of those Catch 22 issues when computer says no ...and human intervention can't over-ride it slight_frown

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144308 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27660 Solutions
I'd leave it a week and try again.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 8

Lightningbolt
  • 3 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Ok, don't apply again, first you need those searches removed from your credit file (or more realistically, let them expire), let me explain. Generally you are allowed 3 searches every 6 months. Too many searches in a short period of time is a flag for your credit in general, not just o2. In this case they see your previous search with o2, the problem is it is all automated.

I doubt a search can be removed from your credit file unless there was a mistake on your credit file prior to your application, in these cases searches are removed because they are based on incorrect data, otherwise I have not heard of anyone having a search removed. Your particular case is as mentioned above, unusual and that's the problem.

It's a difficult situation and without some form of manual intervention it will not get resolved. I guess the problem is to manualy review every unsuccessful credit check is not viable. The successful previous search now counts against you on an automated system.

Searches remain on your account for 12 months though in reality after 6 months, they are basically no influence on any credit decision (providing you are not contantly applying for credit). I would say you may need to leave it for 6 months with o2 if you are not willing to pay a deposit. There is no point in applying again in a week  because I doubt the deposit option would even be available. Also bear in mind if you do a 3rd search and go for another search for something else within a month or so your credit score will be affected by this.

I'd recommend you have a read over on moneysavingexpert, alot of info in general about how credit work, in this case you have done nothing wrong, but o2's system is 2 close searches. I dare say it could be fixed if you get the right person on the phone is even in one of their shops. My hat goes of to o2's call staff, say what you will but in the end they will be working from scripts etc and there is only so much control they have and they have to bear the brunt of customer frustration. There is always a diamond in the rough who will step out and do more than others, you just need to get that person on the phone.

Good luck with it

Message 7 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 122901 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7468 Solutions

It is the same when applying for credit cards and loans. If you are turned down, this shows in your credit file and computer says no. Always always best to speak to someone directly instead of randomly trawling the internet for someone who will accept you (only to find they don't). You then eventually find someone who will.....until they see you have been refused 3 times...

I know this from personal experience when some years back I was applying for a loan for my son. 2 refusals because I didn't fit into their tick box criteria.Trotted off to my local building society where I have been a customer for 20+ years and application accepted in 10 minutes flat...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 8