Did you mean: 

Porting to O2

garetc
Level 5: Ponderer
  • 97 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Hi all,

Long time lurker, probably first time poster.

I've had an O2 contract for some time but only recently decided to port my 'main' number to O2. 

Today is my port day and my old SIM/Netork has lost service as has my O2 SIM.

Is this normal to lose service on the new/ported to SIM card?

Thanks in advance.

G

iPhone 15 Pro Max (EE/Vodafone)
Samsung S24 Ultra (O2/Three)
Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144950 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27778 Solutions

@garetc 

Yes, perfectly normal.

You need to reboot your phone every 30 mins until you get a signal on the O2 sim which indicates a completed process.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
  • 144950 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27778 Solutions

@garetc 

Yes, perfectly normal.

You need to reboot your phone every 30 mins until you get a signal on the O2 sim which indicates a completed process.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 8

garetc
  • 97 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Thanks @MI5 

The process wasn't really clearly sign-posted, I did it over the phone and the person didn't mention anything, I didn't even get a confirmation email or SMS.

The only reason that I knew it was going ahead is because porting team sent me a message to say the port would be delayed by a day (to today).

Message 3 of 8

MI5
  • 144950 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27778 Solutions
You're welcome and hope all goes well.

Currently using:
Message 4 of 8

garetc
  • 97 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Still no service - I've called a few times and they keep telling me it should be activated and I should reset network settings and/or reboot my phone.

The only other solution they can offer me is that they can send me a new SIM in around 3 days or I can go to a store to get a new one

I was initally told that it should complete before 17:00 then again at 18:00 and again 'soon'

It's quite annoying when you consider I was told it'd port between 12:00 and 17:00 - yesterday!

Message 5 of 8

MI5
  • 144950 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27778 Solutions
It can take upto 24 hours to fully complete but if there's no service by the morning, call them again.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 8

garetc
  • 97 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

Woke up this morning and still had no service and my tariff was also due to change overnight which it did not.

Called up and spoke to someone who said the tariff change would take place at my next billing date but they could change it immediately if I accepted some pro-rata charges. Obviously agreed and the change was made, the advisor 'refreshed' the account and the SIM started to work straight away.

Not sure what the issue was but I'm glad to have service again! 

Thqanks for all the advice @MI5 

Message 7 of 8

MI5
  • 144950 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27778 Solutions
Glad you are sorted mate slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 8 of 8