Did you mean: 

Porting my number from O2 to O2?

Abbafan1972
Level 1: Joiner
  • 14 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi there, 

I am currently on a sim-only deal with O2.  The shop told me I could upgrade at any time, but failed to tell me that If I wanted to change networks and port my number, I would get charged £149.99 early cancellation fee (this was confirmed by O2 chat last night).  The contract comes to an end 2/4/2019.

Anyway it's worked out cheaper for me to start a brand new contract (with O2) from Carphone Warehouse and I got a good online deal not available in the shops. 

I would like to keep my number and my question is can I port this number from an O2 to an O2 account?  If this is not possible then I am happy to have the new number someone else in my household can use my sim-only until it comes to an end and then I dump it and get a giff gaff one for them (much cheaper). 

Looking forward to your reply.

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 11
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144064 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
You need to call customer services on 202 and just ask them to migrate your number to the new contract, but you will still have to pay the cancellation fees.
The only free option is to pass the sim onto someone else to use as you suggest.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

MI5
  • 144064 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
You need to call customer services on 202 and just ask them to migrate your number to the new contract, but you will still have to pay the cancellation fees.
The only free option is to pass the sim onto someone else to use as you suggest.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 11

Abbafan1972
  • 14 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply.

That's what I was thinking but just needed it confirming.  It would be pointless getting into an argument with the shop.  I went in when my contract for my device came to an end, but was undecided what phone to have and to be honest the upgrade deals in the O2 shop for the phone I want (iphone 8 plus) are pants.  So they transferred me to a sim-only to reduce my tariff cost per month. 

The assistant at the time said I could come in and upgrade at any time, but failed to tell me I would be tied to upgrading with them, but who knows he could have refused me even if I did choose to upgrade in store, as I have no proof that he said that.

Lesson learned here I think and something I won't fall for again, that's for sure!

Message 3 of 11

Cleoriff
  • 122758 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7463 Solutions

I did mine the other way round @Abbafan1972 (Migrating my number from Contract to Sim Only) One of the easiest processes on O2......no matter how difficult the others may be wink

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 11

MI5
  • 144064 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
On a 12 month simo you can upgrade (with o2 directly) after 3 months, but you really should have gone onto a 30 day simo which would have allowed you to leave with just 30 days notice.
Best of luck with whichever option you choose.

Currently using:
Message 5 of 11

Abbafan1972
  • 14 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Yes, looking back I should've gone on a 30 day contract, but the sales assistant didn't offer one and the 12 month contract is what he put me on. frowning2

Message 6 of 11

MI5
  • 144064 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
You could always try a complaint and say you were mis sold a 12 month contract https://www.o2.co.uk/how-to-complain

Currently using:
Message 7 of 11

Abbafan1972
  • 14 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Would I need to go into the store to do that?

I would like to save myself the embarressment of getting into an argument with the assistant. 

Message 8 of 11

MI5
  • 144064 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
No not at all, you can use the live chat on the complaints link above or just fill out a form online on the MSE Resolver website https://www.resolver.co.uk/

Currently using:
Message 9 of 11

Abbafan1972
  • 14 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks, I will have a look at that.

Message 10 of 11