Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor Service - on O2 Refresh

Whiteside
Level 1: Joiner
  • 1 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Do to o2 poor service in my area I am unable house the amount of data I usually do (60GB) and am only able to use half that if I am lucky with a daily battle.

I have a 50GB phone contract and a 15GB mobile hotspot to make up 65GB bit seeing as the service is so poor and I am unable to use all of the data which is their fault I am looking to reduce to data amount as I don't want to pay for a service I physically cannot make full use of because of their network.

However the app only allows me to increase the data which is not what I want to do.

I plan on going on live chat in the morning to talk about it further much to my headache
Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
Hi @Whiteside

You cannot reduce the amount of data specified in your contract. Only increase it, I'm afraid.

What you can do is pay off your device plan and cancel the airtime and either get a new contract at a lower tariff or a sim only contract at a lower tariff, whichever is the cheaper. O2 regularly have quite good SIMO deals which may interest you instead of 24 months on O2 Refresh if you are having such problems.

Do not speak to live chat but to Customer Services .http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus Between 8:00-8:30am is the best time to ring as the lines are not so busy.

If you explain your problem to them they will help you to decide which is the best option for you.

Also, have you always had a problem with poor service in your area or is this a recent occurrence? If a recent occurrence it could be a problem with a mast in your area. Though, if this is the case, neither anyone on this forum or O2 will give you any indication when the problem will be sorted due to the many factors involved in sorting out a fault. Again, Customer Services can answer any questions you may have on service in your area.

Good luck with sorting out a new tariff and welcome to the forum.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Glory1
Level 43: Bright Spark
  • 10294 Posts
  • 85 Topics
  • 123 Solutions
Hi @Whiteside

You cannot reduce the amount of data specified in your contract. Only increase it, I'm afraid.

What you can do is pay off your device plan and cancel the airtime and either get a new contract at a lower tariff or a sim only contract at a lower tariff, whichever is the cheaper. O2 regularly have quite good SIMO deals which may interest you instead of 24 months on O2 Refresh if you are having such problems.

Do not speak to live chat but to Customer Services .http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus Between 8:00-8:30am is the best time to ring as the lines are not so busy.

If you explain your problem to them they will help you to decide which is the best option for you.

Also, have you always had a problem with poor service in your area or is this a recent occurrence? If a recent occurrence it could be a problem with a mast in your area. Though, if this is the case, neither anyone on this forum or O2 will give you any indication when the problem will be sorted due to the many factors involved in sorting out a fault. Again, Customer Services can answer any questions you may have on service in your area.

Good luck with sorting out a new tariff and welcome to the forum.

Lover of all things Samsung. Currently using Samsung Galaxy S10 Plus 128gb

Message 2 of 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Check here for any network issues in your area http://status.o2.co.uk/ although there can’t be much wrong if you are using 30gb+ a month!
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Whitesidethere is also a community guide here, which helps with solving network issues

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/How-can-I-sort-out-my-network-issues/ba-p/1014088

Though as said, getting through 30GB a month is pretty good taking all things into consideration..I don't honestly think you have much cause for complaint...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 122353 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

Additionally, you may want to think about moving to another network which gives you better coverage in your area. Particularly if this is a long standing issue. 

How to cancel here https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/Cancelling-Your-Contract-A-Guide/ba-p/566774

And getting your PAC here https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/How-to-get-your-PAC-2017-Update/ba-p/1052278

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
30GB is pretty good going in my opinion
Message 6 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

<rubs hands appreciatively>

I love the thought of someone wanting to get their money's 💰 worth....There's more than one way of skinning a cat! 😎😿

Have you considered hooking up a smart TV and a laptop running Windows with heavy background web based processing, maybe even crowd sourced SETI services or torrent serving or similar; by tethering them to your phone overnight, to make full use of those wasted data free hours?

That should eat data like a starving man in an 'all you can eat buffet', and easily use up your other 35gb allowance. So much so, you'll prolly need to up your allowance rather than reducing it! 🏄👌💎

Message 7 of 8

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Hi Presumably you have no wifi if you needed such a big allowance when you took out the contract. Talking to live chat be fruitless I'm afraid. The fact that you are able to use data at all negates any issue with the service you are getting. 30GB however slow is a GB/day and most people don't use that in a week with the abundance of wifi availability these days.

As others says, your best option is to pay off the device and maybe use a network that can meet your required needs. 

Message 8 of 8