cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pokemon Go doesn't login on roaming data

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm posting this a bit late, as I'm back home now, but I had a problem/bug when visiting France over Christmas.

No matter what I tried, PokémonGo wouldn't login over roaming 3G, and even if I got it logged in on a Wifi connection, it was generally poor on 3G.

I tried 3 different French mobile providers (Bouygues, SFR & Orange FR), all of them with a decent 3G signal, but it would never login. The progress bar just stopped at about the 80% mark.

Everything else worked (Safari, App Store, even bloody Candy Crush).

At home it works fine on mobile data (3G/4G) as well as on Wifi of course.

What would have stopped it working on roaming data?

We're both on O2, so I don't know if it's a provider issue or not. Though I'm considering changing provider to give us some provider redundancy.

I basically paid for several days of roaming, just to spend that time googling why the hell it didnt' work. 😞

I tried on my phone, and my wife's phone with the same result (both iPhones).

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
I did suggest that as a possibility (post#5) but the OP disputed it.
Your thinking / logic is the same as mine was.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 21 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
MI5 is quite correct, niantic is now looking at the phone connection's IP address, and your data when travelling internationally funnels through an O2 server in the UK to connect to the internet (see my comment bottom page 2)
Message 22 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
The reason WHY O2 and other YK providers are proxy-ing your international data is presumably because of that UK govt directive to track all websites you visit for 5 years.

Do I blame the govt or niantic? I'm going with niantic .... I've paid £££ for a service and they're blocking me because they're lazy coders
Message 23 of 23