cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pokemon Go doesn't login on roaming data

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm posting this a bit late, as I'm back home now, but I had a problem/bug when visiting France over Christmas.

No matter what I tried, PokémonGo wouldn't login over roaming 3G, and even if I got it logged in on a Wifi connection, it was generally poor on 3G.

I tried 3 different French mobile providers (Bouygues, SFR & Orange FR), all of them with a decent 3G signal, but it would never login. The progress bar just stopped at about the 80% mark.

Everything else worked (Safari, App Store, even bloody Candy Crush).

At home it works fine on mobile data (3G/4G) as well as on Wifi of course.

What would have stopped it working on roaming data?

We're both on O2, so I don't know if it's a provider issue or not. Though I'm considering changing provider to give us some provider redundancy.

I basically paid for several days of roaming, just to spend that time googling why the hell it didnt' work. 😞

I tried on my phone, and my wife's phone with the same result (both iPhones).

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122352 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@AnonymousFrom a google search it seems to be a common problem with any network . More often than not its because the Pokemon servers are down. Did you check via this route? http://ispokemongodownornot.com/

Of course whilst abroad it will probably be because the network connection isn't strong enough. A family member couldn't connect when they were in Spain...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 2 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cleoriff, yes, I checked this.

No problems at all logging in on Wifi, but never worked once on roaming data, on any provider. Solid internet connections each time, as googling the issue was fast!

Once logged in, and switching to roaming data, Pokestops wouldn't load (no name or picture), and Pokemon errored if I tried to catch them.

Infuriating, as I paid for roaming for the specific purpose of trying to catch Pokemon in Paris, and couldn't.

I travel there a lot due to family, and need a roaming service that works.

Nothing I tried (resetting network settings, resetting APN settings, logging in/out of google account) helped at all.

Any suggestions?

Message 3 of 23

Cleoriff
  • 122352 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Anonymous  As I said in my first post.. a family member on EE couldn't get it when he was in Spain. His GF on Vodaphone couldnt connect to it either. Probably the only way round it is to use a local sim when abroad.? I have friends who live abroad and use the Movistar network and Orange ES...they play pokemon and have no problems at all

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 23

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Probably something to do with people spoofing their location and the blocks that were put in place to stop it happening.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable

That would be a GPS thing, not a mobile data thing I believe. Something during the login process was being blocked. An IP address, a port, I don't know.

But people in France must be happily playing, so there's something amiss with the roaming data element.

A data connection is a data connection. The Wifi IP addresses would have been French, and those weren't a problem.

I shouldn't need a local SIM to get connected. That's what roaming is for! slight_smile

Message 6 of 23

Cleoriff
  • 122352 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@AnonymousI have never played it so my responses were given on my experience of being abroad with people who do. (on EE, Vodafone and O2)

Friends who live in Spain can play happily for hours using a local sim. Other than that I can't help anymore. Sorry slight_frown

Edited to add: @MI5 IS currently in France as we speak....so I expect he may be able to advise further...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 23

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
My kids got bored with it but they played it in the summer no problem although they were on local SIM cards.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 8 of 23

Anonymous
Not applicable
Same here in Spain on o2 roaming. 3g works on safari, whatsapp, facebook, etc..., but not pokemon go 😕. My sister could catch them all in roaming with 3 ... I am a long time o2 customer but seriously thinking to switch to another. 3g and 4g services in London are quite poor now, some london areas (london bridge, bank and Liverpool station, denmark hill, Dulwich) constantly under maintenance so no 3g or 4g... is frustrating...
Message 9 of 23

Cleoriff
  • 122352 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

I go to Spain frequently @Anonymous and as I said in an earlier post...none of my family members could connect to Pokemon Go using O2, EE or Vodafone. The only people who managed it were those friends living in Spain who were using local sims...

Mind you, if you are having signal problems where you live and work in the UK.....maybe it is time to change networks?

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 23