cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phoning from Portugal to Canada.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I have tried to phone home to Canada from Portugal, but I have been unsuccessful.  I bought an Archos 55b Platinum at Gatwick.  I also purchased a 02 Pay as You Go SIM card.    I have also tried texting but to avail.    When I phone, I get a Network Busy notice (I am registered on TMN 3G).

I have been using the 00 01 250 1234 calling format which I understand from the Web is the correct format for phoning Canada from the UK.

So, am I doing it right? Is the network really busy or is it me.   All help is gratefully accepted!  

Thanks

Message 1 of 38
37 REPLIES 37

Anonymous
Not applicable

M15

just tried two quick taps on 00 about 4 times.   Neither time did it change to a plus ("+")

Message 31 of 38

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143457 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
00 should work just the same way anyway.
What buttons do you have either side of the 0 key?
Try holding them down for a couple of seconds.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 32 of 38

Anonymous
Not applicable

M15.

I had the asterix and the pound key.  I tried holding them down for a minute but the anticipated symbols of an asterix and the pound key appeared.

But guess what?

I tried the zero (0) key and held it down.   The darned thing changed to the plus "+" symbol.   Reminds me of the old saying that "if you had enough monkeys, tapping on enough key boards you would have a monkey tap out the complete works of Shakespear"   (I guess I am the monkey).

I will  try using the Plus sign to phone. 

Message 33 of 38

MI5
  • 143457 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Very true slight_smile
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 34 of 38

Anonymous
Not applicable

M15

first time I tried, nothing happened.   Second time I tried I got the usual voice saying that "for the moment it is not possible to make a connection with the number you just dialed".

The number I phoned was a business in British Columbia Canada, that is open and has 4-5 lines running into it, so it is extremely unlikely that all lines were busy.    

Message 35 of 38

Anonymous
Not applicable

So, I am off to do some grocery shopping.  I will check in later.

cheers

The Monkey!

Message 36 of 38

MI5
  • 143457 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27490 Solutions
Good luck 😉

Currently using:
Message 37 of 38

jonsie
  • 92929 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions