cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phoning from Portugal to Canada.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I have tried to phone home to Canada from Portugal, but I have been unsuccessful.  I bought an Archos 55b Platinum at Gatwick.  I also purchased a 02 Pay as You Go SIM card.    I have also tried texting but to avail.    When I phone, I get a Network Busy notice (I am registered on TMN 3G).

I have been using the 00 01 250 1234 calling format which I understand from the Web is the correct format for phoning Canada from the UK.

So, am I doing it right? Is the network really busy or is it me.   All help is gratefully accepted!  

Thanks

Message 1 of 38
37 REPLIES 37

Anonymous
Not applicable

Whoops

I missed a few words.  A one minute call to Canada according to BT is 30 pence.

Message 11 of 38

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144332 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Basically, what happens with the bundles is that the money you add buys you an allowance.
Effectively now you have zero credit but allowances to call, text and use data in the UK and when roaming in the EU, within the EU.
To make international calls or send texts you need some additional credit to sit alongside those allowances.
Your bundle isn't really suitable for your use right now unless you will be making local calls too. If you are only using the phone to call Canada you would be better to switch to an international tariff.
Examples of bundles and how they work here https://www.o2.co.uk/help/pay-as-you-go/big-bundles
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 38

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, the saga continues.

I managed to contact 02 and the individual explained that what I needed to phone Canada was a international "Bolt On" called "Travel Snacks" or something like that.  The person added it to my phone.   I then tried again to phone Canada with no success.    

I contacted the Complaints Department, not so much as to complain, but to find out what I was doing wrong.   It was explained to me that the Bundle I bought was good for Europe and UK but to use the Travel Snack Bolt On I needed to have a credit balance on my phone.  Sadly none of my credit cards are registared in the UK so I could not use one.   The kind person from 02 came up with a novel solution and I thought I was all set to go.    

Turns out, that I can still not phone Canada.  I keep getting either a message saying that they cannot connect to the phone number I am calling or alternatively that all lines are busy.  

This is no longer very funny!   Tomorrow, I think I will go and buy a Portuguese SIM card from Vodaphone.  

Message 13 of 38

MI5
  • 144332 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
If you still need to add credit and don't have a uk card you can top up here
https://www.mobiletopup.co.uk/?aid=24&gclid=Cj0KCQjwub7NBRDJARIsAP7wlT_xx-WCi5iy-XmWxohr7U005KtCO4Tn...
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 14 of 38

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi M15

Thanks again for responding!    Unfortunately, I cannot use the link as I do not have a credit card registered in the UK.   Each time I have tried pay, I get as far as entering my Canadian Address and the program stops and says "Enter a Valid Address and Postal Code".

As I said in my previous post the O2 Complaints Person came up with a unique solution so that I would have a 2 Pound credit which I now have.  Unfortunately, I have not been able to successfully make an international call to Canada.

When I try, I either hear a nice response saying the "Network is Busy - Try Again Later", or    "We Were Unable to Connect to the Number You Phoned".

Message 15 of 38

Cleoriff
  • 122914 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

@AnonymousThe link @MI5 provided should allow you to pay via Paypal..(.if you have an account). As thats a global company they will take cards registered anywhere in the world...Many other members have used it successfully without UK based cards.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 16 of 38

MI5
  • 144332 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Thank you Cleoriff and yes I provided the link because a uk card isn't needed.

Currently using:
Message 17 of 38

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Folks!

I missed the PayPal piece (I am old I am old, I wear my trousers rolled*) . And yes, I do have a PayPal account - used extremely rarely.   

So, my next question is "Is it normal to try and phone internationally  (Portugal to Canada on a UK SIM Card)  8-10 times and not get through?"

As always, thanks for your help

* my apologies to TS Eliot

Message 18 of 38

MI5
  • 144332 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
Not normal at all but it should be possible.
International roaming needs to be enabled and you need to ensure you dial with the correct country code, but it does work.

Currently using:
Message 19 of 38

Anonymous
Not applicable

Phone Number

Because I am using a UK SIM Card I have been using the following phone number sequence.

00 1 250 1234

00  Uk international call prefix

1    Canada Country Code

250   Area Code in Canada

1234 Balance of phone number

I am wondering if there is an issue with using the "00" when I am actually in Portugal.

International Roaming

I am assuming by that you mean  Data Roaming or is there another meaning?   I did not have it turned on as I have believed that it was only needed if you wanted to access data?   Am I wrong?

In any case, I have turned on Data Roaming  and I now, when I try phoning internationally, I get another message saying that I need to TOP UP my account - which I am about to do in hope that this will finally solve problems.

Message 20 of 38