cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phishing or legit O2 text message?

Anonymous
Not applicable

This morning I recieved this text message perportedly from O2:

"We have reason to believe your email and password for MyO2 has been obtained by third parties through phishing and may be used to access your MyO2 account.

As a precaution, we will suspend your password on MyO2 and send you a new one to enable you to reset it.

For more advice, visit ******(plus some randon letters and numbers I've removed incase it is malicious. Link also edited to remove exact address) or contact us."

I did not follow the link in the text message, instead I went to the 02 site seperatly and logged in with no issues to My O2. No messages came up saying I needed to reset my password and I have not received an email as the text message said I would.

It all looks very dodgy as far as I'm concerned, but frankly its a very convincing text, with none of the usual give aways. Its comes from 'O2UK', has proper English and the address does have o2.co.uk in it although with some before and after extras which I can't find any info on.

Anyone else get this?

Message 1 of 49
48 REPLIES 48

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144100 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27591 Solutions
So, yet another system generated shambles.....?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 21 of 49

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Very pleased to hear you have received conformation from customer services that this is a genuine message. I will post an update on this situation once I have more information. 

I'll also pass on your feedback about how this was implemented. 

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 22 of 49

Beenherebefore
Level 32: Blockbuster         
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes very serious. The more i look at s.o2.co.uk the more worring it gets! When i visited the URL a lot of cookie information is passed to the website! Also the ssl certificate on the website was issued to davinci-crm.com and not o2.co.uk!!!

http://o2.davinci-crm.com/BMSUI/EmailUnsubscribe?email=toan_dang78@yahoo.com&campaignid=EMAIL_14201184270001&operation=unsubscribe&store=03944_DM_Activation_Incentive_Campaign_April&campaign_group_category=4&ddate=2015-01-01&tcode=A000000075

Another outsourced IT service that sometimes doesn't function as it should perhaps ?

I wonder what O2 actually does because almost every service function seems to be performed by a contractor !

"My life is a facsimile of a sham"
Message 23 of 49

Beenherebefore
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions
Also www.s.o2.co.uk is now unreachable.

"This site can’t be reached

www.s.o2.co.uk’s server DNS address could not be found."
Message 24 of 49

jonsie
  • 93157 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

What the heck is happening at O2. They seem to stumble from one system issue to another. It's no wonder people are getting stressed. Time for major investment but it seems they are in limbo until the takeover either goes ahead or is vetoed.

Message 25 of 49

jonsie
  • 93157 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

Now within 30 minutes today I get an email and a text, neither subject have I called or enquired about.....

Email

"Hello Stephen,

Thanks for your query regarding mobile number 077********.

We’re sorry to hear that you are experiencing problems with your O2 Priority app, we can understand your frustration and concerns with this.

Please ensure that your phone’s software is the most up to date version, as this will improve the app’s performance.  Please then try deleting your Priority app and then re-install the latest version of the app before trying to register again. This link will allow you to register http://www.o2priority.co.uk/register or you may wish to text PRIORITY to 2020 to register.

O2 Priority is an iPhone, Android and Mobile based application which will give you access to offers in your local area. The App will use GPRS / GPS (handset dependent) to find your current location and give offers based on this location and the preferences you have set. The service requires a good internet connection to be able to download the codes to your handset.  If the location settings are not turned ‘on’ O2 Priority may be unable to show you the current promotions, and voucher codes may show as expired.

The offers are uploaded in the 24 hour format and if the device is set in the 12 hour format this can also cause O2 Priority to show you all offers as expired. This can be amended in your phone’s settings menu. It is also important that the date and time settings on your handset are set to ‘automatic’. We have had instances where customers have manually set the time on their handset a few minutes fast and this has caused issues with offers going straight to expired.

This should help to resolve the issue, and your O2 Priority App should perform correctly once this ‘trouble–shooting’ has been completed.

If you do experience any further issues please make an appointment to see an O2 Guru in store, who will be able to physically check your phone and help you further.

http://guru.force.com/O2DeskStoreLocator

Kind Regards

O2 UK Ltd 

Priority Enquiries Team

Preston Brook, Runcorn, WA7 3QA

Telefónica UK Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority

This electronic message contains information from Telefonica UK or Telefonica Europe which may be privileged or confidential. The information is intended to be for the use of the individual(s) or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient be aware that any disclosure, copying distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. If you have received this electronic message in error, please notify us by telephone or email.

Switchboard: +44 (0)113 272 2000

Email: feedback@o2.com

Telefonica UK Limited 260 Bath Road, Slough, Berkshire SL1 4DX Registered in England and Wales: 1743099. VAT number: GB 778 6037 85

Telefonica Europe plc 260 Bath Road, Slough, Berkshire SL1 4DX Registered in England and Wales: 05310128. VAT number: GB 778 6037 85

Telefonica Digital Limited 260 Bath Road, Slough, Berkshire SL1 4DX Registered in England and Wales: 7884976. VAT number: GB 778 6037 85"

Text

Screenshot_2016-04-26-16-00-45.png

Not sure what is happening at all at O2??

Message 26 of 49

Beenherebefore
  • 5063 Posts
  • 113 Topics
  • 12 Solutions
Use the feedback email address ?
Message 27 of 49

jonsie
  • 93157 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6953 Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all,

I've just spoken to the fraud department, my account (which is actually closed as I'm no longer with O2) was accidently included in the mass message that went out along with other closed accounts.

So this whole mess around could have been resolved by better communications. I suggested to the chap in fraud that it might be a good idea for O2 to communicate to those who accidently were included in the broadcast that their account details have not been compromised.

Please don't assume your account has been flagged by accident however because the communication would have also been sent to users who have been compromised.

Message 29 of 49

gindygoo
Level 25: Hard Hitter
  • 1340 Posts
  • 59 Topics
  • 27 Solutions
So no info on how ppls personal data was leaked? I wonder what happened to instigate this mass password change?

Anyone heard of a recent hack? Anyway it's worrying that if there has been a breach, they can't even get it right when going about fixing it..

I guess that means even more spam/scam texts and e-mails then.. Grrr
Message 30 of 49