cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phishing or legit O2 text message?

Anonymous
Not applicable

This morning I recieved this text message perportedly from O2:

"We have reason to believe your email and password for MyO2 has been obtained by third parties through phishing and may be used to access your MyO2 account.

As a precaution, we will suspend your password on MyO2 and send you a new one to enable you to reset it.

For more advice, visit ******(plus some randon letters and numbers I've removed incase it is malicious. Link also edited to remove exact address) or contact us."

I did not follow the link in the text message, instead I went to the 02 site seperatly and logged in with no issues to My O2. No messages came up saying I needed to reset my password and I have not received an email as the text message said I would.

It all looks very dodgy as far as I'm concerned, but frankly its a very convincing text, with none of the usual give aways. Its comes from 'O2UK', has proper English and the address does have o2.co.uk in it although with some before and after extras which I can't find any info on.

Anyone else get this?

Message 1 of 49
48 REPLIES 48

Cleoriff
  • 123212 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

@Anonymous

Phishing and scam advice here http://www.o2.co.uk/help/safety-and-security/fraud-and-phishing-advice

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 41 of 49

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144785 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27748 Solutions
There has been a recent spate of scam texts which have been investigated on here and proven to definitely being fake.
Yours may be different but just be very cautious of anything and any links.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 42 of 49

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've had 1 with a link that I think is definately fake - from Mybilling. These that I had today do seem to be legit. They all come from the same number and say O2UK. 2 were sent by 2 different customer service people that I was talking to at the time - both texts popped up on my mac while I was on the phone to them. They confirmed that they had sent them but there was no record of them on the system. I have a whole text conversation from the same number and contact (O2UK) and none appear on their system - even though they confirm sending 2 of them. It's weird and worrying! It happened to me in September and October as well. Ring all the ones from O2UK from my iphone and all ring to the same number 62 85

Message 43 of 49

MI5
  • 144785 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27748 Solutions
Sounds like something @Toby or @Martin-O2 could look into for you.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 44 of 49

Martin-O2
  • 8165 Posts
  • 772 Topics
  • 94 Solutions

Thanks for the mention @MI5 I think this is definitely worth raising with the rest of the ream. 

@Anonymous I'll drop you a private message to get a bit more info on this wink

COVID-19 support - Help and support from O2 during the lockdown
Access for You: Registration - Find out how to register for our Access for You service.
Just joined the community or thinking of registering? Check out this handy starter guide!
Have a query about your account? login to My O2 for help

If you'd like to take part, why not register? slight_smile
signature

Message 45 of 49

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks!

Message 46 of 49

Anonymous
Not applicable

Be interested to hear more - I and my partner both had the same today. Initial text at 14.49 saying account possibly compromised. Follow up text a few hours later with code password to use.

In between I spoke with a live chat agent, who couldn't see anything wrong with my account, followed by the fraud team, who also couldn't see anything wrong. I also changed my password and other security options.

The texts all came through from O2UK - and on the same message thread as texts I always get from o2, telling me I've used all my data allowance, or that I've added a bolt on.

He doesn't have an o2 account anymore (old out of use email), but I do.

Really very odd.

Message 47 of 49

Cleoriff
  • 123212 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7472 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Be interested to hear more - I and my partner both had the same today. Initial text at 14.49 saying account possibly compromised. Follow up text a few hours later with code password to use.

In between I spoke with a live chat agent, who couldn't see anything wrong with my account, followed by the fraud team, who also couldn't see anything wrong. I also changed my password and other security options.

The texts all came through from O2UK - and on the same message thread as texts I always get from o2, telling me I've used all my data allowance, or that I've added a bolt on.

He doesn't have an o2 account anymore (old out of use email), but I do.

Really very odd.

Probably needs investigating. Have a look at this guide https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Are-you-fed-up-with-spam-calls-and-texts-Follow-these-steps-to/m-p/386364#M37293

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 48 of 49

MI5
  • 144785 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27748 Solutions
The fact the the texts came through on the same thread would indicate a legitimate o2 text in this instance, although I suspect another system glitch of some kind..

Currently using:
Message 49 of 49