cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Payforit - 3rd Party Charges on Bill

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd like to know if 02 offer any guarantees regarding 3rdParty charges on my bill.

It's just I have been listening to a BBC Radio 4 programme this afternoon about the problems with
payforit system that mobile operators have setup for autmatic charging. Apparently you only have to click

on a link to be trapped into it, you don't even have supply your phone number. I'd like to know if 02 provide services to block 3rd party charges? Next time I go for a mobile phone contract this will be my first question to any operator.

Kind Regards

Message 1 of 20
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Some people do like using these services and there would be almighty cries of censorship if they were denied to everyone, the opt out suggested above should help.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 20
19 REPLIES 19

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 149583 Posts
  • 641 Topics
  • 28517 Solutions
We will all agree that it should be an opt in service and something needs to be done to put a stop to the con artists out there, but we also need to remember that some people will want these services.
O2 offer an opt out on their Charge to Mobile service, but you have to request it.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
Opt out should be the default setting as many mobiles are used by children. My discussions with friends & colleagues I don't know of anyone who would want this these services. Its very open to abuse & scammers knowing this type of service is on by default.
Message 3 of 20

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Some people do like using these services and there would be almighty cries of censorship if they were denied to everyone, the opt out suggested above should help.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Message 4 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
Back to my original post. what guarantees do 02 provide is something goes wrong ? If a customer a clicks on a link which results on charges that the customer is totally unaware of.
Message 5 of 20

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Back to my original post. what guarantees do 02 provide is something goes wrong ? If a customer a clicks on a link which results on charges that the customer is totally unaware of.

If you have been defrauded you can go to PhonepayPlus who will investigate and usually get any monies refunded, O2 cannot be held responsible for where you choose to click.

http://www.phonepayplus.org.uk/For-the-Public/Make-a-complaint.aspx

Message 6 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
Not a good answer. My 02 contract is up soon.
Message 7 of 20

perksie
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
Not a good answer. My 02 contract is up soon.

I'm not sure why you say that?

All the protection you need is in place, a provider has no control over what you use your phone for and that's how it should be.

Message 8 of 20

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 94087 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 7019 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

No guarantees as far as I know but there should be a record of opting out and there is always the option of a request to listen to your calls to customer service. 

Message 9 of 20

Anonymous
Not applicable
Because its on by default, I doubt customers have any idea that this feature is enabled by default. I did not know until I heard about it on BBC Radio programe.
Message 10 of 20