cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Over Charged??

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just received my bill... 158£!!?...

So we booked our first girls holiday a few months ago to Turkey, Just days before we flew we found out about the events that happened in Tunisia, I know Turkey is 'apparently' a safe place to travel to according to holiday companies. Been a group of young girls and our first holiday we were very scared about going because a terror attack could happen anywhere at anytime especially with the current situation in Turkey and the Far East, not been able to cancel the holiday without losing all our money we made the decision to go anyway. 

As you can imagine my friend and family were quite worried and wanted us to stay in touch and to keep in contact with each other at all time especailly on nights out when it is easy to get lost on a busy bar street. Long story short I have been charged £1.50 for each time I tried to contact my friends in Turkey even when the call didn't connect. I wasnt made aware of these ridiculous phone charges prior to my trip even though I had been into the shop to dicuss my contract. As soon as returned home I went into my local O2 store and spoke to a lovely gentleman about what had happen and he said that he couldnt change my bill in store and assured me if I contacted customer services and explained the story they would be more then happy to help me and I wouldnt have to pay, unfortunately after 3 hours on the phone, and been put on hold a frequent amount of times I was told that they couldnt do anything about my bill and that I could set up a payment plan for the unconnected calls I had made.

Surely this isnt right? all I was trying to do is keep my friends and myself safe. 

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Unfortuntely, Turkey is not covered by the O2 Travel bolt on (As it is not in the EU) Therefore wouldnt be anything to make the calls even cheaper. If a call doesnt connect at all, you usually shouldnt be charged. However if it connects to voicemail for example you will be charged. Like others have said, you could always call back or ask to escalate/complain if you wish to take it further.

View solution in original post

Message 10 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Anonymous
Not applicable
Do you not have O2 travel enabled on your contract?0

Turkey is difficult because some parts border Europe while some of the Turkish areas aren't classed as Europe
Message 2 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately I wasnt told when purchasing my contract - even though I was sat there talking about my holiday! When I contacted O2 they said that they couldnt do anything because I hadnt enabled it - but how can you enable something you know nothing about?

Message 3 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
It may not have been included in your tariff but you could add it as a bolt on in your myo2
Message 4 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 122826 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

All rates listed here

http://www.o2.co.uk/international/travel/standard-charges

http://www.o2.co.uk/help/bills-and-payment/calling-texting-and-data-usage-abroad

There is so much information on the O2 website about travel abroad....A bit late now but just saying...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 10

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

It's a shame you didn't come here for advice before going away, we're always giving advice about using your phone abroad.

Officially you are liable for the charges and any refund O2 might offer would only be on a goodwill basis.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 6 of 10

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions

Try calling them again and speak to another adviser. They might be more sympathetic.

You could also try a complaint here : How to complain

Message 7 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
I wish I had checked out this site before I went but I didn't think I would be charged anywhere near as much as I have been! I'm just fuming about the calls that didn't even connect! I wish I had been told I could add it on as a bolt on but no one mentioned it and I had been in the shop several times prior to going.
Message 8 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 122826 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
I wish I had checked out this site before I went but I didn't think I would be charged anywhere near as much as I have been! I'm just fuming about the calls that didn't even connect! I wish I had been told I could add it on as a bolt on but no one mentioned it and I had been in the shop several times prior to going.

I am not saying it will work but me phoning CS complaining about calls dropping out when I was in Spain did result in O2 refunding the excessive charges. I will be the first to say I got a damn good advisor who chacked my call records and agreed they had a problem not me...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Unfortuntely, Turkey is not covered by the O2 Travel bolt on (As it is not in the EU) Therefore wouldnt be anything to make the calls even cheaper. If a call doesnt connect at all, you usually shouldnt be charged. However if it connects to voicemail for example you will be charged. Like others have said, you could always call back or ask to escalate/complain if you wish to take it further.
Message 10 of 10