cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Online phone purchase - a few questions.

tullyhubbert
Level 3: Thinker
  • 102 Posts
  • 14 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I 'think' I'm about to purchase am O2 PAYG smart phone online. I've a couple of questions, perhaps someone can answer.

1/ I may want to use the phone with my current O2 SIM only Pay Monthly account. Any issues doing this?

2/ If I do question one then after some calls I should be able to ask O2 for an unlock code? (I've done this previously)

3/ I may give it to a family member who has an O2 PAYG SIM (Has had it for 14+ years) Any issues doing this?

4/ If in the hopefully unlikely case the phone has some warranty issues would I be able to deal with an O2 store rather than posting it back and forward?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

Anonymous
Not applicable
When a person inserts the SIM card in a phone O2 auto sends the relevant settings via text which can be saved and the ohone rebooted.

Or text active to 2020.
Message 11 of 18

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144183 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

@Bambino wrote:

I always thought that there are problems using a Pay Monthly sim in a Pay & Go phone. Aren't the settings different?

The correct settings will be picked up off the sim card, hence the importance of having the correct one for the type of account.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 12 of 18

MI5
  • 144183 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions

@tullyhubbert wrote:

If someone could state definatively whether I can or can't unlock a PAYG supplied phone with my Pay Monthly SIM I'd appreciate it.

The official O2 process is 12 months for PAYG phones.

We cannot advise anything other than you following the correct process.

You can certainly use your contract sim to get a free unlock after 12 months, but as pointed out by an O2 employee you must have the phone connected for 12 months first.....

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 13 of 18

tullyhubbert
Level 3: Thinker
  • 102 Posts
  • 14 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
 MI5 wrote

The official O2 process is 12 months for PAYG phones.

We cannot advise anything other than you following the correct process.

You can certainly use your contract sim to get a free unlock after 12 months, but as pointed out by an O2 employee you must have the phone connected for 12 months first.....

Thanks everyone, as ever the members have excelled themselves and the replies were coming in faster than I could type my responses, sadly that makes me look pretty dim ... lol

I missed the fact that rosadosc is an O2 employee so thanks for your input.

Message 14 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
You're very welcome. 😄
Message 15 of 18

MI5
  • 144183 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Always a pleasure mate slight_smile

Currently using:
Message 16 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable
Another idea might be instead of buying a payg handset why not buy (if your finances can allow it) a SIM FREE phone.

Then there are NO issues with unlocking and you can put any network sim in it whenever you want.

(Note iPhones not purchased directly from Apple sim free may lock to thw first sim put in it so be aware)
Message 17 of 18

jonsie
  • 93186 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions
While you are on contract, get the phone unlocked free using the form in my signature. Text ACTIVE TO 22020 and save the settings. @Anonymous will give you good sdvice.
Message 18 of 18