cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 to movistar

Anonymous
Not applicable
I'm off to fuerteventura and the resort has got a strong movistar 4g signal, will my o2 sim switch over to movistar 4g when I get there? Or do o2 use a different signal?
Message 1 of 12
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Wa10
Level 19: Quirky
  • 418 Posts
  • 32 Topics
  • 29 Solutions

Having just returned from Fuerteventura over the weekend, I can confirm that the Movistar coverage when roaming is strong across the island.

@MI5 and @adamtemp64 are spot on with what they say though...sadly the strong coverage does not mean a useable service. 😞 0.5Mbps would have been nice, I averaged considerably less than that over 3G. 

I work for O2, however any advice or opinion given in this community should be considered my own and not necessarily representative of Telefónica UK Limited.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

I would read here

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/O2-EU-Roaming-versus-Vodafone-Three-Asda-BT-and...

and here in same thread https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/O2-EU-Roaming-versus-Vodafone-Three-Asda-BT-and...

o2 have no 4g roaming in place and major issues with data use abroad

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 2 of 12

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144409 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
You'll connect to Movistar but you won't get 4g and data is throttled to 0.5mbps so all you can do is download emails slowly.
It's useless for anything else.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 12

Wa10
  • 418 Posts
  • 32 Topics
  • 29 Solutions

Having just returned from Fuerteventura over the weekend, I can confirm that the Movistar coverage when roaming is strong across the island.

@MI5 and @adamtemp64 are spot on with what they say though...sadly the strong coverage does not mean a useable service. 😞 0.5Mbps would have been nice, I averaged considerably less than that over 3G. 

I work for O2, however any advice or opinion given in this community should be considered my own and not necessarily representative of Telefónica UK Limited.
Message 4 of 12

MercedesS
Former Staff
  • 1192 Posts
  • 17 Topics
  • 18 Solutions

Hello @Anonymous,

Have fun! Fuerteventura is amazing, you will love it! As @Wa10 said, you should be able to use Movistar all over Spain. 

And please let us know how was your experience when back Thanks! 

Get involved! If a post answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution”.If you are new to the community, please read How to use the community
Message 5 of 12

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144409 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27678 Solutions
Just not for data..
Let's not get confused with what is and isn't acceptable.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 6 of 12

Anonymous
Not applicable
Wow! Thanks for all your fast replys. Would it be better to buy a pre loaded data movistar sim when I get there? (my tablet is unlocked)
Message 7 of 12

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@Anonymous yes that would be best if you need data

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 8 of 12

Cleoriff
  • 122949 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7470 Solutions

@AnonymousBuying a local sim is always the best way to go.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 9 of 12

Wa10
  • 418 Posts
  • 32 Topics
  • 29 Solutions

@Anonymous Absolutely! That's probably what I will do the next time we head out there.

Although I know @MI5 and others have good things to say about the EE PAYG sim, which I believe offers a competitive £10 bundle - not sure how it stacks up against a dedicated Movistar data sim though?

Message 10 of 12