Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 roaming ? Excessive charges

Marktko
Level 1: Joiner
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Ok so have been to Turkey twice last three months and now checking bills.

I have been charged 4.99 several days whilst out there - 19 days I was there in total - and after checking my phone call logs it’s when I’ve quickly phoned parents to let them know I’m ok ! These calls were like 1-2 minutes yet I was charged the full 4.99 each time ?? Once for a 3 second call that went to their voicemail which I hung up on. I had my roaming switched off.

My wife has discovered the same checking her bills. She sent one text a day every day to her mum while we were out there and it has cost her £95 in total - for 19 texts ! She had roaming turned off and only used WiFi when available.

I’ll ring o2 first thing tomorrow but don’t understand this.

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Marktko Even if you send one text a day or a short call you will incur the £4.99 a day so you will have to pay the bill I’m afraid

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Marktko Even if you send one text a day or a short call you will incur the £4.99 a day so you will have to pay the bill I’m afraid

Message 2 of 10

LukeR
Level 3: Thinker
  • 41 Posts
  • 15 Topics
  • 2 Solutions

when you use your phone outside the eu there is a daily charge. the amount will depend on which country you go to, for turkey it is 4.99 per day.

this system was introduced to prevent high bills e.g bills that are hundreds of pounds.

Message 3 of 10

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122354 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Marktko

Travel to Turkey often creates problems. Although it's in Europe, it's not part of the EU.

If you had the O2 Travel Bolt on it would cost you £4.99 per day. That would include 120 mins, 120 texts and data.

However, one text would trigger the £4.99 daily charge, as would a 2 minute call.

More info here

https://www.o2.co.uk/shop/international/using-phone-abroad

O2 Travel to Turkey is not included on PAYG, only contract.  You are only charged the daily rate if you have data roaming on and use the phone on any given day

Our usual advice (pre-travel) is to use WiFi wherever possible. It's available in hotels, bars and restaurants.

Keep in touch with friends and family by using Whatsapp, Messenger or Skype (over WiFi)

Also turn off voicemail before you leave the UK.

Another help guide here. (It covers Turkey.. both PAYG and Contract)

https://community.o2.co.uk/t5/How-to-Guides/Roaming-in-Turkey-and-Cyprus-On-PAYG/bc-p/1105917

It may help if you travel to Turkey again.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 4 of 10

Marktko
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

So there’s no way round it ? Just one text will cost you 4.99 ??

I don’t see how that’s right to have a minimum charge for something that would just be 50p eg a text. Penalises the light user.

So I may as well have used my roaming etc too as was being charged anyway.

Message 5 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
That’s correct I’m afraid no way around it
Message 6 of 10

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
If you're a light user you can have O2 travel removed and just pay standard rates.
It's a case of understand what your usage and potential charges would be and making the right tariff choice.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 10

Cleoriff
  • 122354 Posts
  • 824 Topics
  • 7457 Solutions

@Marktko wrote:

So there’s no way round it ? Just one text will cost you 4.99 ??

I don’t see how that’s right to have a minimum charge for something that would just be 50p eg a text. Penalises the light user.

So I may as well have used my roaming etc too as was being charged anyway.

@MarktkoNo way round it on this occasion. Hopefully the info provided may help you... if you choose to revist Turkey again.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 8 of 10

Marktko
  • 3 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks. Feel robbed.....

More info
More info
frowning2

I’ve just been trying to remove the bolt on but doesn’t seem to be an option to do so so will give them a call.
Message 9 of 10

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Easiest way is to call customer service on 202.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 10 of 10