Did you mean: 

O2 mid term rise v ofcom ruling Facts

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Loads of threads over this but the salient points are

1 Ofcom rules apply from 23rd Jan 2014 and allow for price rises http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/2014/01/checklist-when-taking-out-a-new-phone-or-broadband-contract/ This line  beyond what you agreed to at the point of sale

2 O2 issued new T&C that apply from 23rd Jan 2014 that meet the guidelines above. http://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/mobile/our-latest-pay-monthly-mobile-agreement

3 On contracts prior to the giudline implementation date 23rd Jan 2014 the relevant T&C have it covered. the links below should confirm it. I.e. o2 can put it up by RPI.

aug 2013 - Jan 22 2014

(may2013-august2013)

(april2011-april2013)

Complainimg to o2 or ofcom will not exclude you from the rpi rises and in all the T&C o2 have the get out clause if above stated rpi.

These are the facts and however harsh you feel it only Ofcom are to blame and o2 have used the guidelines as implimented

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 1 of 47
46 REPLIES 46

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

if the goverment reduced the vat o2 would still make money out of rpi increase as all the vat element goes to the goverment and not o2.

Apple Watch series 4
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 31 of 47

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Just posted this on the which discussion

When will which admit that 1 You did not win Fixed is Fixed campaign 2 Stop spreading false information. 3 Publish the facts.

All very poor form which

The ofcom Guidance is very clear and O2 Have not Breached any of Ofcoms guidance on this issue

I would like to see a factual piece of advice from Which

http://conversation.which.co.uk/technology/o2-price-rise-ofcom-fixed-means-fixed-rules/comment-page-...

Apple Watch series 4

Message 32 of 47

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

I think it's many years since Which had any influence in this country.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 33 of 47

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Funny how all the media are bashing o2 yet the media realese here from ofcom is very clear http://media.ofcom.org.uk/2014/01/22/protection-for-consumers-against-unexpected-mid-contract-price-... point 5 notes to editors

• The updated Guidance also makes clear that customers will still be free to choose to enter a contract where the price agreed at the point of sale is different during different periods of the contract.  For example, where a provider has an introductory offer for a period of months and a different price is agreed for the remainder of the contract, or where the customer agrees to pay one price for the first year of the contract and another price for the second.  The price terms must be clear and prominent enough that the customer can really be said to have agreed these kinds of tiered prices at the outset.  Where they are, the customer would not be able to end the contract when the agreed price for the later period is applied.
Apple Watch series 4

Message 34 of 47

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

Precisely, Ofcom are the villains here for their feeble attempt to change the rules, which they have spectacularly failed to do.

O2 simply took advantage! Smiley Indifferent

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 35 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable

Regardless of this post being a repeat; I am another angry customer. This is what I wrote in another thread but was directed to here:

The Government now uses and has for a few years CPI not RPI as an indicator of inflation. CPI, has you would expect, being the lower indicator of the two.

How can O2 use RPI when it is no longer used or recognised by the UK for inflation purposes?

Certainly, I will be thinking twice before I renew with O2. Maybe if they cut their corporate hospitality and directors remunerations then they would not need to increase their prices.

No amout of waffling and T&C will vindicate the actions by O2. What economic crisis non fo the fat-cats.

Message 36 of 47

adamtemp64
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

And repeat OFCOM uses RPI as the example.

Apple Watch series 4

Message 37 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ofcom are pretty useless.  To me, if you are forced to enter a contract for 24 months (which in most cases you are if you want a contract mobile) the price should be fixed for 24 months.  This should also apply to the likes of Sky as I am fed up with them putting up their prices!

Message 38 of 47

davethorp
  • 1035 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 38 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Ofcom are pretty useless.  To me, if you are forced to enter a contract for 24 months (which in most cases you are if you want a contract mobile) the price should be fixed for 24 months.  This should also apply to the likes of Sky as I am fed up with them putting up their prices!

Virgin media are worse. I think at one point I had three price rises with them in the space of a year. Although if they do put their prices up you are free to reject the increase and terminate the affected services which is quite a novel and quaint idea........

Message 39 of 47

aldaweb
  • 1722 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 65 Solutions

@davethorp wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Virgin media are worse. I think at one point I had three price rises with them in the space of a year. Although if they do put their prices up you are free to reject the increase and terminate the affected services which is quite a novel and quaint idea........

On BBC Breakfast it was said Virgin have similar clauses to O2 in their mobile contracts too.

iPhone 14 Pro (O2 ), S23U (EE), iPad Pro LTE (EE), .

Reviews: iPhone-X-first-impressions ¦ Blackberry Classic ¦ Blackberry Z30 ¦ Nokia Lumia 1020 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Part 1 ¦ Samsung S4 Mini Pt. 2
Message 40 of 47