cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old iPhone 3GS & Pay-As-You-Go

Anonymous
Not applicable

I am currently on 24 month contract with O2 with my Xperia Z1 (my 4th contract phone).

I have an old iPhone 3GS (was my second contract phone with O2) which is sat in its box doing nothing. I am looking to give this phone to my dad for keeping in the car for emergencies etc. and want to set him up on a basic PAYG contract (so he just tops up as and whe required) and with his own mobile number.

What is the best way to go about this?

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
Fill in the unlock request via my link.

He can then use any network he wants if he does not want to use O2.

You will get an email back asking you to insert a non O2 SIM card in it and hook up to iTunes to complete the unlock.

Either order a sim via my link or pick one up from an O2 store.
You may be asked to put £10 on it before leaving the shop.

Other networks sims are just as easy to pick up from their high street shops or even £1 shops or the internet.

What's the deciding factor here is what network gives him good signal where he lives and works etc.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
If he uses O2 just give it to him to put a standard sized sim in it.

If not then get it unlocked.
Message 2 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Unlock form. https://www.o2.co.uk/apps/help/help?qid=1&q1=2&route=unlocking&case=Handset%20Unlocking%...

It's free to contract customers and if you've used it recently it should still be latched to your account.
Sims can be picked up at any O2 shop or have one posted out to you.

https://www.o2.co.uk/freesim/
Message 3 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

He doesn't use any network. He doesn't have a phone, doesn't have a contract with anyone else.

This would be his first mobile.

So would it be easier to set up a contract with O2 for him on PAYG or get the phone unlocked and shop around on other networks?

Message 4 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
Fill in the unlock request via my link.

He can then use any network he wants if he does not want to use O2.

You will get an email back asking you to insert a non O2 SIM card in it and hook up to iTunes to complete the unlock.

Either order a sim via my link or pick one up from an O2 store.
You may be asked to put £10 on it before leaving the shop.

Other networks sims are just as easy to pick up from their high street shops or even £1 shops or the internet.

What's the deciding factor here is what network gives him good signal where he lives and works etc.
Message 5 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for your quick responses B.

slight_smile

Message 6 of 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144340 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27671 Solutions
A giffgaff sim would be best for him as he can just put £10 credit on it and use as required (the top up doesn't expire). giffgaff runs on O2 network so he will get the same coverage as you do, just make sure you turn mobile data off so as not to get charged for any unnecessary use. No need to unlock phone if using a giffgaff sim either.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable
You're welcome.

You should look at setting up an Apple ID too so he can download apps etc.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5622?viewlocale=en_US
Message 8 of 8