Did you mean: 

O2 mid term rise v ofcom ruling Facts

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

Loads of threads over this but the salient points are

1 Ofcom rules apply from 23rd Jan 2014 and allow for price rises http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/2014/01/checklist-when-taking-out-a-new-phone-or-broadband-contract/ This line  beyond what you agreed to at the point of sale

2 O2 issued new T&C that apply from 23rd Jan 2014 that meet the guidelines above. http://www.o2.co.uk/termsandconditions/mobile/our-latest-pay-monthly-mobile-agreement

3 On contracts prior to the giudline implementation date 23rd Jan 2014 the relevant T&C have it covered. the links below should confirm it. I.e. o2 can put it up by RPI.

aug 2013 - Jan 22 2014

(may2013-august2013)

(april2011-april2013)

Complainimg to o2 or ofcom will not exclude you from the rpi rises and in all the T&C o2 have the get out clause if above stated rpi.

These are the facts and however harsh you feel it only Ofcom are to blame and o2 have used the guidelines as implimented

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 1 of 47
46 REPLIES 46

davethorp
Level 21: Regular
  • 1035 Posts
  • 11 Topics
  • 38 Solutions

@aldaweb wrote:

On BBC Breakfast it was said Virgin have similar clauses to O2 in their mobile contracts too.

Don't know about virgin mobile. I was talking about the TV, phone and broadband cable service though who will let people cancel without penalty if they put the prices up

Message 41 of 47

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

I'm pretty sure Virginmedia can only hold you in  contract for up to 18 months and you can terminate anytime after that. It used to be 12 months under Telewest. Although that changed.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 42 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable

@adamtemp64 wrote:

Funny how all the media are bashing o2 yet the media realese here from ofcom is very clear http://media.ofcom.org.uk/2014/01/22/protection-for-consumers-against-unexpected-mid-contract-price-... point 5 notes to editors

• The updated Guidance also makes clear that customers will still be free to choose to enter a contract where the price agreed at the point of sale is different during different periods of the contract.  For example, where a provider has an introductory offer for a period of months and a different price is agreed for the remainder of the contract, or where the customer agrees to pay one price for the first year of the contract and another price for the second.  The price terms must be clear and prominent enough that the customer can really be said to have agreed these kinds of tiered prices at the outset.  Where they are, the customer would not be able to end the contract when the agreed price for the later period is applied.

There's the key bit.  The changeable pricing was not made clearly and prominently to me when I purchased my phone via Carphone Warehouse so I have grounds for complaint that Ofcom guidance hasn't been followed.

Did someone say Ombudsman?!

Message 43 of 47

perksie
Level 69: Guiding Light
  • 27019 Posts
  • 247 Topics
  • 1614 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

There's the key bit.  The changeable pricing was not made clearly and prominently to me when I purchased my phone via Carphone Warehouse so I have grounds for complaint that Ofcom guidance hasn't been followed.

The terms of the contract were clearly there for you on the O2 web site.

If CPW didn't publish them you may have a claim.

To support Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/appeals text Nepal to 70000 to send £5

Sky Unlimited Broadband - Windows 10 - Nexus 4 Android 5.1.1
Message 44 of 47

Anonymous
Not applicable
I bought my handset through CPW anheard was asked to sign o2 terms and conditions. You would have been given a copy, mine is yellow. Look on the back under section 5 and the price rise potential is included there

Sorry if it isn't what you want to hear but I am certain you would have signed this for CPW to allow you to purchase.

As you would have signed it you are expected to haveunderstood it and your complaint would therefore not be upheld.

If you want to complain to the ombudsman you MUST go through o2 complaints review service first. Once they give you final decision you can ask for your deadlock notice then you can go to ombudsman which will cos o2 £300.

Failure to go through o2 complaints first will see your ombudsman query rejected without being investigated
Message 45 of 47

adamtemp64
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 16454 Posts
  • 312 Topics
  • 1316 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

@adamtemp64 wrote:

Funny how all the media are bashing o2 yet the media realese here from ofcom is very clear http://media.ofcom.org.uk/2014/01/22/protection-for-consumers-against-unexpected-mid-contract-price-rises/ point 5 notes to editors

• The updated Guidance also makes clear that customers will still be free to choose to enter a contract where the price agreed at the point of sale is different during different periods of the contract.  For example, where a provider has an introductory offer for a period of months and a different price is agreed for the remainder of the contract, or where the customer agrees to pay one price for the first year of the contract and another price for the second.  The price terms must be clear and prominent enough that the customer can really be said to have agreed these kinds of tiered prices at the outset.  Where they are, the customer would not be able to end the contract when the agreed price for the later period is applied.

And that phrase has only benn mandotory since the 23rd jan 2014 when did you upgrade.

The key is anything before the 23rd jan 2014 is prior to the new ofcom guidelines and any contract before that date will not be looked at as breaching the code.

iPhone 11 Pro 256gb on unlimited data
iPad Pro 12.9” 2020 256gb refresh o2 family discount
Apple Watch series 4
My first mobile was in 1995 a CM-R111 from sony on Cellnet.
Wincanton South Somerset (Full 4g 3G 2g indoor coverage) Remember we are all customers here not customer services

Message 46 of 47

ewanrw
Level 10: Inspirational
  • 342 Posts
  • 15 Topics
  • 9 Solutions

EE have announced they are changing their T&C's.

Seems the wording is different, but they're effectively dodging Ofcom's new guidlelines too.

http://www.mobiletoday.co.uk/News/28084/ee_reveals_contract_terms_and_conditions_will_change_in_marc...

ewan

Message 47 of 47