Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Travel

samwardill
Level 1: Joiner
  • 9 Posts
  • 6 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I'm travelling to US next month. If I try to add the O2 Travel Bolt On I get a message that says "this Bolt On isn't compatible with the Standard Rates in our Europe Zone Bolt On you already have. If you continue your existing Bolt On will be removed."

Shoudl I add the O2 Travel Bolt On?

Message 1 of 3
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 126080 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7552 Solutions

@samwardill wrote:

I'm travelling to US next month. If I try to add the O2 Travel Bolt On I get a message that says "this Bolt On isn't compatible with the Standard Rates in our Europe Zone Bolt On you already have. If you continue your existing Bolt On will be removed."

To answer that specific question @samwardill, check first as advised by @pgn as to whether you have the O2 Travel Inclusive Bolt on. If not, then yes you should add O2 Travel.  (Your Europe Bolt on is irrelevant if you are now with O2 as travel in our Europe Zone is free.) You are only charged for O2 Travel on the days you use it.

All that said, you would be better off buying a local sim (either AT&T or TMobile) to use in the US. You will get far better data speeds etc.
Make use of Wifi which is plentiful in hotels bars and restaurants.

Turn off Voicemail before you travel

All info here Guide: Roaming MegaGuide 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3
2 REPLIES 2

pgn
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 38503 Posts
  • 240 Topics
  • 1735 Solutions

Check if you already have "O2 Travel Inclusive" - it covers the USA for less than the O2 Travel daily charge (inasmuch as roaming data in the US is capped at about 500kbps, ok for e-mail but not much else!). Also watch out for the new info in here in regard to 4G Calling effective 01-Jan-2023 in the USA: Guide: Roaming MegaGuide 

Extract here: 

Calling from the USA

From 2023, you’ll be unable to use your UK mobile phone to make regular calls when visiting the USA because of changes to their mobile networks. However, you’ll be able to use your phone to make calls using the 4G network – provided you have a compatible phone.

Follow the steps listed here to check whether your phone is compatible, or you can find a list of compatible devices if you go here and click the link shown in the screenshot below the most up-to-date compatibility list.

pgn_0-1673171357439.png

If the device you have isn't compatible with 4G roaming, then you will be unable to make and receive calls when you're roaming in the USA. This down to USA network technology changes rather than anything on our side, or that O2 is in control of.

Message 2 of 3

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 126080 Posts
  • 832 Topics
  • 7552 Solutions

@samwardill wrote:

To answer that specific question @samwardill, check first as advised by @pgn as to whether you have the O2 Travel Inclusive Bolt on. If not, then yes you should add O2 Travel.  (Your Europe Bolt on is irrelevant if you are now with O2 as travel in our Europe Zone is free.) You are only charged for O2 Travel on the days you use it.

All that said, you would be better off buying a local sim (either AT&T or TMobile) to use in the US. You will get far better data speeds etc.
Make use of Wifi which is plentiful in hotels bars and restaurants.

Turn off Voicemail before you travel

All info here Guide: Roaming MegaGuide 

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 3