Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Switch Up - not able to Switch Up!

cowmos
Level 1: Joiner
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Highly frustrating experience trying to get my upgraded phone on the O2 Switch Up plan.

Received a text message to say my phone was ready to pick up. Went to the branch only to be told that the system for processing the Switch Up was down. The member of staff checked with colleagues via an internal O2 WhatsApp group, and said other branches had reported the issue.

I was told that they won’t know the system is up & running again until someone else comes in to upgrade their phone; if that customer’s Switch Up process works then they’ll give me a call to come in!

Highly frustrated, and disappointed that I’m paying extra for this service when it’s clearly not working as it should. I have absolutely no idea when my phone will be available to take home with me! I’m just waiting for a phone call. Sadly, I’m not near a store, so have to plan a trip carefully!

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10283 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 3023 Solutions

@cowmos 

IT systems go down and unfortunately there isn't anything the store can do until the systems comes back up and is running..

They need to call IT and that is who they will be waiting on a message from, and unfortunately it will be like we do in IT ask them to test on the next person who tries to do what they are saying doesn't work. 

I did a switch up earlier this week and it worked fine in the store near me, so the service is available, it is just unlucky you hit an IT issue. 

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 2 of 16

Oxonian
Level 29: Intuitive
  • 6309 Posts
  • 112 Topics
  • 22 Solutions

@cowmos 

If you don't hear imminently from the O2 retail store, you could give them a call :-

Store locator | O2 UK | Find Your Nearest O2 Store

https://stores.o2.co.uk/

At least you will then know that they haven't forgotten about you ! 

Message 3 of 16

Hacwa
  • 8 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I have the exact same issue. 
When they entered my IMEI number the system said internal system error.

Message 4 of 16

cowmos
  • 2 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

They did ask me if my current phone was a replacement (which it isn’t). I think I was suffering a similar issue to you. I’ll give the branch a ring tomorrow to see how things are going.

Message 5 of 16

Hacwa
  • 8 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

So I spoke with a nice lady in customer services who I asked to see your post, she found it and has raised something with their technical team, they only work Monday-Friday so I don’t expect to get my replacement phone this weekend.

After the call with 202, I called the store and asked them to raise it internally as they had not done so already, In passing I mentioned you had this issue at midday and asked if they had done any switch ups today, they confirmed they had but the people who they had done the switch ups for were on the new billing system. The way to know if you’re in the legacy billing system is if you get 1 bill for your device and another for your airtime or if you get just 1 bill each month.

I am on the legacy, I suspect you are also if you’re having issues.

Message 6 of 16

Oxonian
Level 29: Intuitive
  • 6309 Posts
  • 112 Topics
  • 22 Solutions

@Hacwa 

@cowmos 

Please keep us updated on developments.  

Message 7 of 16

Hacwa
  • 8 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Called at 10.30am and spoke to the manager of store. He was aware of the issue, suspect that it was first raised by the lady I spoke to last night.

Manager told me that the devs are actually working on this over the weekend as it’s an issue across all of O2, I suspect if it’s not sorted until Monday/Tuesday then the manager was talking nonsense and they only work Monday-Friday.

I called up at 4PM and had the official word is that the issue is still intermittent. There is around 8 other people aside from me are waiting for a call from this chap to let them know it’s resolved and can come into store.

Manager said most of the other stores close at 5.30 and that maybe will have an update after they close as they wouldn’t push updates in the middle of their busiest day of the week for sales incase it breaks other systems and so to check back after 5.30-6PM to see if there has been an update.

Message 8 of 16

madasaf1sh
Level 76: Forum Legend
  • 10283 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 3023 Solutions

@Hacwa 

In fairness they probably wont push any live production updates till Sunday Night, as Saturday and Sunday are the busiest for retail..  and there are stores open till 9pm or even 10pm in the run up to Christmas... 

How long it takes depends on how serious the issue is, and I wouldn't expect developers to be involved unless it is  an update they built and pushed caused the issue, it will more than likely be the 2nd or 3rd line support teams working on the issue (no one wants to involve developers unless the have to trust me).

And just so you know the store managers wont know who is working on an issue, they will just know IT are working on it...

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 9 of 16

Hacwa
  • 8 Posts
  • 0 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Aye, I get it. I am not mad, If I hear anything more then I will update.

Message 10 of 16