Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 Maritime roaming

NC201
Level 1: Joiner
  • 22 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Does anyone know whether O2 still have a Roaming agreement with the Cellular at Sea Maritime network? I'm currently on a cruise ship but my phone won't attach to the network, the updated page (August '22) on Cellular at Sea's site states TEF UK has a Roaming agreement.

Message 1 of 20
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

I've double checked into this and though I've not had confirmation we definitely have a roaming agreement with Cellular at Sea's Maritime network, looking at their website, terms and the sections you've copy/pasted above, I've no reason to believe that we don't have an agreement - so, it should work.

Two things to mention at this point are:

1) For maritime / cruise networks you won't be able to use data, but once you're connected to it voice calls and texts should work

2) The fact you can't connect to the network at all, when others on Sky for instance can, to me suggests an account based issue. I believe it's very likely you have a roaming bar on your account that's preventing you connecting to this network. Best way around that is to give us a call or if more convenient, get in touch via our Social Media profiles - Twitter, Facebook & Instagram

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 20
19 REPLIES 19

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23219 Posts
  • 1030 Topics
  • 3694 Solutions

@NC201 As far as I'm aware O2 doesn't have any roaming agreements with any cruise ship network. We've seen posts of people coming home to huge bills when connecting on ferries, so I imagine the same is true for cruises.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 2 of 20

Enlli
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 6800 Posts
  • 50 Topics
  • 1521 Solutions

There was this thread from last year. 

This is not O2 and we are all customers here similar to yourself and cannot answer account type queries.
Message 3 of 20

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93253 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6984 Solutions

NC201
  • 22 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

It would be good to get some clarification on this from the mods as I am wondering, given the high costs and associated disputes, whether access is blocked on a customer basis.

Message 5 of 20

MI5
  • 145047 Posts
  • 635 Topics
  • 27831 Solutions

@Chris_K is the best person to ask.

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Message 6 of 20

Cleoriff
  • 123369 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7476 Solutions

@NC201 

My 22 year old grandson went on a Caribbean cruise last year. I warned him about the costs of using his phone on board (as I pay the bill!!) Also, all the usual stuff about only using Wifi when he landed and was well away from the ship..

En-route to the ship he had a message from work, asking if there was any possibility of him producing an important document! He was between a rock and a hard place.

However, he noticed in his cabin, some info about the use of phones and laptops etc. He went to see the purser and most cruise ships offer packages, where you pay a set rate for x number of hours.

He bought a 24 hr package and the document was completed and sent off. It cost him £25 for for the 24hrs package.

No-one else in his party could use it in his cabin, as it was linked to his telephone number. Even though it was finished in 6 hrs there was no refund. He was just told to make use of the remaining hrs.

Well worth it in the end as he was still in a graduate position. His boss was so impressed, he got the job full time and Renault paid him back the £25. 😊

The ship was part of the Cunard line.

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 7 of 20

Chris_K
Former Staff
  • 1851 Posts
  • 404 Topics
  • 161 Solutions

Having checked around from my side, I can't find any info that we have any roaming agreements with any cruise liners. @NC201 you mentioned about a website that said Tef UK was a roaming partner - if you could send that link my way I'd appreciate it, as looking around I cannot find it myself.

As mentioned above though, some cruise liners may have access packages which will almost certainly cost you money and will unlikely be free, though that may well depend on whatever holiday package you have with them. I can foresee the possibility that we could be a network partner of a cruise liner or we help to provide them the technology, but that wouldn't necessarily mean that customers could then roam for free on that network.

From our roaming abroad page I wanted to highlight one of the points from the 'what's not included section' below that may offer further help/advice:

• Using mobile data if you’re on a cruise ship, however you will still be able to connect to the ship’s wifi. You’ll be able to make and receive calls for £3 a minute, and send texts for 65p a text.

iPhone 15 Megathread //  Don't fall for scams  //  How to get Volt benefits
Contact us on Social MediaFacebook // Twitter // Instagram
Message 8 of 20

NC201
  • 22 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi @Chris_K if you go to https://www.cellularatsea.com

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on "Does my Wireless Carrier support Cellular at Sea" there's a comprehensive list and all the UK principle operators are listed;

UNITED KINGDOM
     EE                           
     HUTCHISON 3G UK LTD          
     SKY UK LIMITED               
     TELEFNICA UK LTD             
     VODAFONE            

Note this is a Maritime operated network which runs as a standard Cellular operator across a host of wide ranging ferries and cruise ship operators, it's totally separate to the WiFi offering the individual cruise ship or ferry may offer. Despite the site showing TEF UK having a Roaming agreement my phone won't attach to the network on-board. I fully appreciate it's costs and as mentioned it's for inbound SMS and emergencies only that I'd need to be connected and available on-board.

Message 9 of 20

NC201
  • 22 Posts
  • 4 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Just to further add that two friends of ours using Sky (an MVNO of O2) appear to be working fine.

Message 10 of 20