Can I use the dongle in Western Europe?

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6956 Solutions

It's a no go, foreign sim or foreign dongles is by far the cheapest way I'm sad to say. O2 and all the other networks really need to price roaming reasonably but they are happy to rob us blind and it seems to me that o2 are not interested in anything but stinging us for the privilege of being with them. They must be the worst and most expensive network surely?

Message 11 of 18

Cleoriff
  • 122787 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi there @Anonymous

Yes you can use your dongle abroad, but the data used will not be deducted from your allowance, you will be paying roaming rates. If the Country you are traveling to is on the O2 Travel "list", this will not apply to mobile broadband, so you will be paying standard European roaming charges. This is for pay monthly, I will try and get a bit more information for Pay and go.

Hope this helps. slight_smile

Edit: It cannot be used with Pay&go .

Doesn't this contradict what Version7point0 said? (Post 2 of this thread) Confused

No, O2 dongle are only available to use within the UK

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 12 of 18

jonsie
  • 93170 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6956 Solutions

@Cleoriff wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi there @Anonymous

Yes you can use your dongle abroad, but the data used will not be deducted from your allowance, you will be paying roaming rates. If the Country you are traveling to is on the O2 Travel "list", this will not apply to mobile broadband, so you will be paying standard European roaming charges. This is for pay monthly, I will try and get a bit more information for Pay and go.

Hope this helps. slight_smile

Edit: It cannot be used with Pay&go .

Doesn't this contradict what Version7point0 said? (Post 2 of this thread) Confused

No, O2 dongle are only available to use within the UK

Others have had problems connecting to a local network overseas so maybe @Anonymous can check if it's possible to use. Personally I wouldn't bother trying, it's not worth the effort and certainly not the silly costs.

Message 13 of 18

Cleoriff
  • 122787 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

Also I have had experience of taking a UK dongle abroad to use in my netbook which stays in Spain. It failed miserably ....others on here will know. Maybe it was something to do with the initial set up I have no idea...but I was told by CS it would work as soon as I connected it..... It didn't....simple as that. I had to wait for the Orange ES shop to open 3 days later so I could top up my spanish dongle...:smileysad:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 14 of 18

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well it is supported, so I don't see why it shouldn't work...

If you go on the dongle post pay tariffs ( it's on the tariff details) , you will see the roaming charges apply etc etc it won't come out of your allowance, bla bla bla (short version) 

Message 15 of 18

Cleoriff
  • 122787 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:

Well it is supported, so I don't see why it shouldn't work...

If you go on the dongle post pay tariffs ( it's on the tariff details) , you will see the roaming charges apply etc etc it won't come out of your allowance, bla bla bla (short version) 

Then @version7point0 info is incorrect? ...it's just conflicting advice as far as I can see.....

Also, the Three mobile broadband dongle that I had.... 'should' have worked in Spain...I bought it for that sole reason. It didn't work at all, therefore I wouldn't rely on any of them after that experience...:smileysad:

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 16 of 18

MI5
  • 144134 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27604 Solutions
My Three dongle works in Spain, France and Germany wink
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 17 of 18

Cleoriff
  • 122787 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7466 Solutions

@MI5 wrote:
My Three dongle works in Spain, France and Germany wink

Good for you. Mine didnt....and I may be a dumbo but I doubt it was my fault. ...but thanks anyway...Smiley Indifferent

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 18 of 18