cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 DC-HSPA (42.2mbps) SO SLOW

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi all

I'm sure this questions been asked so many times and is still being asked.

Why is it that O2 has never been able to give me above 5.7mbps download on HSPA+/DC-HSPA Connections across the UK and at home I can rarely acheive above 4mbps.

I Live in the B38 area of Birmingham and get a Full DC-HSPA reception from a mast close by on Green Lane (Tower Block)

Theorectically I should be able to acheive very high 4G like speeds on DC-HSPA as its rate 42.2mbps but I find I can only acheive 3-4mbps download and 2 - 2.2mbps where 3 can give me 10mbps download and around 2-3mbps upload on low signal.

I'm sick of the poor data network!!

Message 1 of 30
29 REPLIES 29

Anonymous
Not applicable
O2 do not force people into contracts. You enter into a contract usually with a handset that may cost upwards of £500 being provided for FREE at the outset and paid back over two years.

No one points a gun to your head to sign up.

And given the investment o2 have made it is reasonable for them to expect the customer to honour the contract they have voluntarily signed into.

If the signal is so bad it can barely be used (like I have at home) then o2 do frequently allow customers to return the handset and leave. But a customer getting 7.5mb download speed? They won't allow someone to leave who gets that. Many millions of people don't get that sort of speed on their home broadband.
Message 11 of 30

Anonymous
Not applicable

I totally agree, nobody forces anyone to sign the contract and quite rightly O2 expect people to honour that contract.

I was referring to the poster who said if you don't like it, leave.  It isn't as easy as that.

Message 12 of 30

Anonymous
Not applicable
Fair play garthwd1969
Message 13 of 30

Anonymous
Not applicable
I guess I should count myself lucky I have 120mb broadband then
Message 14 of 30

Anonymous
Not applicable
I dream of the day when I reach the promised land (no not Martin Luther King) Piperdog 123 2014
Message 15 of 30

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I totally agree, nobody forces anyone to sign the contract and quite rightly O2 expect people to honour that contract.

I was referring to the poster who said if you don't like it, leave.  It isn't as easy as that.

Your moaning about 7.5gig mobile data download speed, sounds like you just want the moon on a stick.

There are plenty of people on here who would love to be able to get 7.5gig download speed on there home broadband let alone over a mobile network, be thankful you actually have such a fast mobile data connection.

Message 16 of 30

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Your moaning about 7.5gig mobile data download speed, sounds like you just want the moon on a stick.

There are plenty of people on here who would love to be able to get 7.5gig download speed on there home broadband let alone over a mobile network, be thankful you actually have such a fast mobile data connection.

The OP was moaning about the speeds he was getting, not me.  I was just referring to your rather unhelpful reply that nobody was forcing them to be a customer and leave when of course it cannot be done under contract without financial penalty.

I think the point the OP was making was despite getting data speeds that I would love to be getting a fraction of, in comparison to other networks he is getting a much slower speed which is a fair talking point in my opinion.  When O2 announced they were rolling out 4G and people said it would be nice if they rolled out decent 3G it was only said half in jest.

I can certainly moan about data speeds though if you want me to.  At work I get an EDGE connection, according to speedtest.net app, a speed of 0.19Mbps download (if I put a 3 PAYG SIM in the phone I get speeds of 5.5Mbps).  At the football today (a lower division club so not a huge crowd) with a 4 bar 3G connection I got, according to speedtest.net, 0.07Mbps download.  The O2 My network app even put up a warning saying "We can't start the speed test at the moment because you might not be connected to the internet".

If the situation doesn't improve by September when my contract ends I will be leaving.  I would love to follow your sparkling advice and leave now (without financial penalty, of course) but I am tied to a contract which I started before I moved to my current job, I accept that and will honour it.

Message 17 of 30

Anonymous
Not applicable
Fair comment
Message 18 of 30

Anonymous
Not applicable
I think most people recognise that o2 failed to invest following the acquisition by Telefonica which was theworst move o2 made.

As a result o2 has significant 2g coverage, ok 3g coverage and 4g recently started.

But the explosion of customers on smartphones has left o2 wanting and it's networks have failed miserably. They are addressing that and by end of 2015 we should be in a much better place. But it will be a painful journey at times I am sorry to say.

I should know. I only get 2g at home and can't use Internet as all I get is that the page cannot be displayed. O2 won't improve it.
Message 19 of 30

Anonymous
Not applicable

I moved back to O2 when the iPhone first came out (on a whim, the cashpoint I was using was next to a CPW store and I thought what the heck.  Unlimited data seems such a long time ago...) and found the service very good.  Whenever I had glitches I mainly put the fault down to the iPhone rather than the network, such was my perception.

However, I just think in the last couple of years the service has deteriorated and when they keep going on about how much they invest per day I figure it must be invested nowhere near me.

Message 20 of 30