cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

O2 4G text mistake?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Received this test message last week;

"O2: O2 4G is here. We're giving you access at no extra cost from 12 March.

After this date, visit http://s.o2.co.uk/got4G/8CJka8 to find out how to get set up so you can use 4G when out and about in 4G areas.

Check the My O2 app to keep track of your data.

Watch. Listen. Stream. All in glorious 4G. Terms apply. To stop texts, call 2220."

Following the link in the message it states;

"If your message from us said 'O2 4G is here' it means O2 4G coverage is available in the post code you registered with us."

As you can see my message says 'O2 4G is here', but living in Torbay, Devon, I seriously doubt that 4G is available, so I suspect the text sent to me is incorrect?

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

The address is correct on my account (been with O2 for a considerable amount of time). I've been to Bristol and Plymouth this year, don't think they have 4G, although I did fly from Heathrow last December.

I think this is just O2 adding the 4G bolt-on to my account so if I travel to a 4G area I can receive 4G, as bandofbrothers says.

My phone is 4G enabled and has 4G SIM (checked using the link in the text)

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

O2 are trying to get people who have taken out a contract direct with them onto 4G contracts as no extra cost to the customer.

You just need a 4G sim and 4G phone.

Then if you travel/commute into a 4g area you can enjoy those speeds.

Perhaps look in this thread which holds lots of info on this :

http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Welcome-News/4G-Text-Campaign/m-p/621674#U621674

Message 2 of 10

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
It certainly isn't available yet in Torbay but I wonder if you have recently been in a 4G area and the system may have picked it up from your location, or is your address correct on your account ?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

The address is correct on my account (been with O2 for a considerable amount of time). I've been to Bristol and Plymouth this year, don't think they have 4G, although I did fly from Heathrow last December.

I think this is just O2 adding the 4G bolt-on to my account so if I travel to a 4G area I can receive 4G, as bandofbrothers says.

My phone is 4G enabled and has 4G SIM (checked using the link in the text)

Message 4 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Decisions decisions to take this 'free' offer up then !

Are you tempted ?

Message 5 of 10

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
Well Heathrow certainly has 4G but I don't know what criteria they use to send those emails so I'm only guessing.....
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

I have accepted the offer and now have the 4G free bolt-on, but I doubt I will travel to a 4G area for quite a while into this year.

Is there anyway to find out when my area is likely to be upgraded, O2 must have a rollout plan?

Message 7 of 10

MI5
  • 144206 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27635 Solutions
They don't tell us until it arrives.

Currently using:
Message 8 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I have accepted the offer and now have the 4G free bolt-on, but I doubt I will travel to a 4G area for quite a while into this year.

Is there anyway to find out when my area is likely to be upgraded, O2 must have a rollout plan?

Perhaps register here for updates https://www.o2.co.uk/getupdates?lte

Message 9 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable
At least you have it now and your ready
Message 10 of 10