cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number porting - processing times

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

How long does it take to port my number to O2 if I have PAC code ? I am porting from Three mobile.

Ofcom says it should be done within 24 hours.   Practically how long does it take ? Anyone had bad experiences.  Where should I complain if it takes more than 24 hours ?

Message 1 of 27
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

OK guys. I think we should wind up this thread to make way for important issues.

Acknowledging the contributions of all, this is my take away :

• Porting time is usually 24-48 hours and it could take more time during holiday season or weekends.
  • You will get a text message from O2 stating the date of porting. If you don't get it , you should get in touch with customer care to get it done.
  • Once you get the message then porting will happen on that date.
  • On the day of porting, you will get a message to turn off your old phone ( old connection).  Turning off is better.
  • Once the porting is complete. If it took more than 48 hours, you can ask O2 to get a line rental refund for the days for which you were not able to use your new connection.  Remember it will be a very small amount if your monthly rental is very low and it can be a substantial amount if your rental is high. ( eg. Consider that the porting took 6 days, then they may give you line rental up to 5 days. So if the monthly rent is £10 then you get a refund of £1.67 [ = ( 5 / 30 ) * 10 ]. Similarly, for a monthly plan of £40, it will be £6.67 )

JK

They don't always give you compensation so that's a little false. You were lucky & it won't happen again for you as it was a gesture of good will

View solution in original post

Message 23 of 27
26 REPLIES 26

anticpated
Level 30: Meditator
  • 3412 Posts
  • 164 Topics
  • 53 Solutions

Anytime that is not a holiday or weekend is the best time. Best time would be typically Monday to Thursday. The PAC code gives each network  authorisation codes to enable your telephone on their particular network.

When moving from Vodafone from O2 I had a couple of issues however mine happened over the weekend though. Hindsight and all of that though.

Samsung Galaxy S10, Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
Message 2 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable

I submitted my request on 19th and asured that it will be done on 20th 6PM.  When it was not done, I contacted on 21th. They said it will be done on 21st 6 PM.  Again on 21st they said 24 hours more.  Now they say 27th, also there is a but, it could happen in 2 hours also.  Just 8 days. Wow ! great customer service.

Message 3 of 27

Liquid
Level 44: Clearly Talented
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
It's not the CS fault unfortunately. PAC is done by a central system that is linked to all networks and it is as far from fool proof as you can get.

It shouldn't be taking that long, have you queried three? See if they have actually released your account?
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 4 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yea, I just checked with Three. They said it has been used by O2 on Dec 19th and my contract is released.

Message 5 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable

Liquid :

The whole point is I am paying for O2 from Dec 19th and not using it , as my primary number is the existing one.  Since O2 cannot tell when it will be ported, I am carrying two phones.  That's the main issue. 

I guess the inability to get this done on time is definitely O2's issue and since customer is suffering it is definitely bad customer service.  What do you say ?

Message 6 of 27

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Understandable. However I'm only saying that you cannot blame O2 for a system that isn't under their control.

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you’re wrong. So Ive been told wink
Message 7 of 27

Anonymous
Not applicable

When ofcom says it has to be done in 24 hours that means that it can be done and it should be done.  And all operators agree to this and their systems have the capability to do it ontime.  I don't think it's a big deal of work which takes this long because Ofcom initially had plans to enforce a 2 hour time period to do it. But later settled on 24 hour period because they don't want operators to miss on the deadline.

Also, technical staff at Three confirmed that the request is out of their system ( probably the centralized system)  on the same day when the request was submitted. So why can't I blame O2 for this inconvinience.

Is there a place where I can complaint if an operator is not sticking to the service standards layed out by ofcom ?

Message 8 of 27

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Yh ofcom, but you have to provide proof that you have attempted to resolve the issue with the carrier first.
Message 9 of 27

Liquid
  • 5942 Posts
  • 98 Topics
  • 305 Solutions
Just read the system doesn't work weekends or bank holidays. Sorry I wasn't aware of it;
http://community.giffgaff.com/t5/Welcome-and-News/Porting-In-explained-industry-view-plus-giffgaff-s...

Message 10 of 27