Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number lost during porting?

Sallin
Level 1: Joiner
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I signed a new contract with O2 on Sunday and arranged to port my number from BT mobile, so gave O2 the pac code at the time of placing the order.
My new O2 sim arrived on Tuesday with a different number. I spoke to customer services who said the number transfer had been requested and would go through the next day (Weds). By 6pm on Weds the transfer still hadn’t happened and the BT sim was still working so I spoke to customer services again who said the transfer had been rejected as BT had already disconnected the number, despite the fact at that time it was still active on my BT sim. BT said it was showing their end as going through and they were expecting that to happen by midnight. By 10pm the number had stopped working with my BT sim but wasn’t working with my new O2 sim, and if anyone tries to call it they just get a beep sound.
Can anyone help? Has my number been lost somehow during the porting process and if so how do I get it back? Thanks.
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

The number won't have been lost so I would advise you to keep speaking to O2 customer service. It's their responsibility to port your number so I suggest you call them at 8.30am. That way you should get straight through to them.

Is the O2 temporary number still active? You have presumably switched your phone off and on?

Message 2 of 13

Sallin
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks for your reply. Yes the temporary number that came with the new sim is still working. I’ve turned off and on a few times but that hasn’t helped yet. I’ll be calling o2 customer services this morning so hopefully they can sort it.

Message 3 of 13

SamsungFanBoy
Level 13: Prompter
  • 259 Posts
  • 70 Topics
  • 5 Solutions
EE (who BT own) lost the mobile number I'd had for years. They ported someone else's number onto my SIM card and mine completely disappeared and they couldn't give it me back. I was furious with them! I would be more inclined to believe what O2 told you about BT Mobile disconnecting your number. BT in general are totally useless and seem to only employ incompetent staff from experiences I've had with them over the years! Give O2 a call again and if they tell you the same story, I'd get straight on the phone to BT Mobile and roast them.
Message 4 of 13

PhoneChanger
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions
The same thing has happened to me in the past, and BT have disconnected the line as soon as I asked for the PAC code so the number was completely lost. It was never recovered (and sadly BT's senior team aren't very helpful when it comes to trying to resolve something when you're no longer a customer)
Message 5 of 13

TallTrees
Level 49: Rootin' Tootin' 
  • 10673 Posts
  • 119 Topics
  • 344 Solutions

Hello @Sallin 

I tranferred and it took 10 days to get information and connected.

I agree with @jonsie 

keep asking o2 ~ I know it is frustating but if you want something you need to persevere.

I didn't even have a temporary number for a while but my provider kept my mobile

service working.  

Good Luck and welcome to the o2 Forum Welcome

HAPPINESS IS BEE SHAPED

Message 6 of 13

Sallin
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thank you all - I’ve spoken to O2 this morning, the number successfully ported out of BT but has got stuck somewhere since then. They are looking into it now and hoping it will be transferred across within 24 hours so will wait and see.

Message 7 of 13

PhoneChanger
Level 30: Meditator
  • 1343 Posts
  • 65 Topics
  • 101 Solutions
Good news 🙂
Message 8 of 13

jonsie
  • 92921 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Sallin
  • 6 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks - still waiting! I haven’t received any of the texts they said they’d send when it was going through, so I think I’ll be calling again this morning to see what’s going on.

Message 10 of 13