cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not able to pay bill after move to the States...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, we had to move last week because my husbands job finished in England. We had O2 contracts. We could not cancel before the move because we did need our phones a couple of days at least in the States. 

My husband now wants to close down his account and unlock his iphone 4 from O2, so that we could either take an american sim in it or sell it on. He tried to call O2 and talked to a guy on the phone who told him that he can't pay the openstanding bill because we don't have our british bank account anymore. My husband gave him our American visa card in order to pay the bill, but the rep said that that can't be done. 

Why does it matter where the money comes from to pay our invoice? We have an american bank and it should not be a problem to use that american credit card to pay a british invoice... 

How are we going to solve this? We do not refuse to pay, we want to pay and close down the account... 

Can someone please help?

Message 1 of 5
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Unfortunately O2 will only accept payment from a UK registered debit/credit card. My only suggestion would be if someone in the UK could pay for you and you repay them, maybe a friend or family member? You do need to give them notice to close the account if you haven't already done so, then a final bill can be produced.

To unlock the phone use the form here : Unlock your Phone

I'm not sure what else to suggest in order to pay off the accounts to be honest.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

viridis
Level 56: Guvnor
  • 13530 Posts
  • 106 Topics
  • 308 Solutions
If you log onto my O2 on the site, you should be able to pay and billed balances using your visa.
Before you pay though visit this page.
http://www.o2.co.uk/help/phones-and-devices/unlocking-your-iphone-and-using-it-on-another-network
And fill in the form for unlock request.
It should come through in a few days.
Message 2 of 5

jonsie
  • 92905 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

Unfortunately O2 will only accept payment from a UK registered debit/credit card. My only suggestion would be if someone in the UK could pay for you and you repay them, maybe a friend or family member? You do need to give them notice to close the account if you haven't already done so, then a final bill can be produced.

To unlock the phone use the form here : Unlock your Phone

I'm not sure what else to suggest in order to pay off the accounts to be honest.

Message 3 of 5

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi

To add ; To complete the unlocking sequence you will also need another uk network non O2 SIM card. An American SIM card won't complete the sequence so we are told.

Hope all goes well with the close down of your account.

I'm wondering if O2 would allow a cheque payment to their PO box Address ?

Help link : http://community.o2.co.uk/t5/Pay-Monthly-and-Pay-Go/Cancelling-Your-Contract-A-Guide/m-p/566774/high...

Message 4 of 5

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
It's most likely the unlock process won't work either as you won't be on the UK cell system for recognition of your IMEI number unless Apple's system works internationally.
You could have completed the unlock process before leaving the uk which would have been the best idea.
The iPhone 4 requires that you connect to iTunes with a non O2 sim card once you have been notified of it's unlock status.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 5 of 5