Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No data while on a call

Jokerfrog
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I had this issue on both the iPhone 8 and now Galaxy Note 9. While out and about not connected to WiFi. I lose the ability to use the internet, get emails or receive texts via WhatsApp when in a call, that's making or receiving a call.
I've phoned O2 tech support and they've given me a new sim as mine was a few years old but it's not made a difference. How can I rectify this issue that so far only seems to be an issue for O2.

Kind regards and thanks in advance for any help.
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Jokerfrog
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I should've also mentioned, that I have 4G pretty much everywhere, then as soon as I make or receive a call, my 4G symbol changes to a H, I can still use the internet at this point but it's very slow, then after another minute or so the H disappears and I have no data use whatsoever.
Message 2 of 8

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions
You need 4g calling enabling and to be in a 4g area to be able to make calls over 4g, which would then likely solve the problem, although 4g calling isn't available everywhere yet.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 3 of 8

jonsie
  • 93177 Posts
  • 609 Topics
  • 6967 Solutions
Message 4 of 8

gmarkj
Level 66: Unequalled
  • 12056 Posts
  • 94 Topics
  • 1124 Solutions
Unless you have 4G calling (as mentioned) this is normal behaviour.
The reason for it is your phone is using the connection to the network for the call and stops the data connection.
You would probably see this behaviour on all networks, because this is how the phone(s) are set to work.

Please note, this is not customer services and we cannot access your account. Do not publish personal details (email, phone number, bank account).

Link to our guide on how to contact them can be found here

Message 5 of 8

Jokerfrog
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Ok I've been testing with the people I work with, i have called them and they called me and then I've watched my phone lose the data symbol, 4G, or most common H. And when I've tried Facebook, Amazon or Google search i get a message appear saying 'no data while on this call'. And here's the kick in the nuts, two of my colleagues on EE whilst on the phone to me were happy on Facebook, Amazon and could use Google to search, the same with my girlfriend on BT mobile, the same as my boss on Vodaphone.... now here's the real kicker, my other colleague who is an O2 customer can call me or take a call from me and still use Facebook, Amazon, google maps, etc...... but everytime I've asked O2 Guru's, technical support or even here the answer is. in 2018 so called smart phones can only either call OR use data but not both. When so many people have demonstrated otherwise on other networks.....
Message 6 of 8

MI5
  • 144166 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27624 Solutions

Android and iPhone differences?
I seem to recall from the past that one worked and one didn't but the promise from O2 was that 4g would fix it for all...

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)
Message 7 of 8

Jokerfrog
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
I've had the Samsung Note 9 for about a month, I had the iPhone 8 before that and had the same issues, I initially thought it was due to the Bose free sport earbuds, as that's when I first noticed this issue. Its it's not the case.
Message 8 of 8