cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No connection while traveling

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

I arrived in Hong Kong on Sunday, but cannot get a signal at all. So no chance to make/receive texts or calls.
None of the local providers let me connect to their networks. Most show with a red cross next to them. The only one that doesn't ("3") doesn't let me connect either.

I spoke with O2 through the live chat twice already, but not helpful at all. One of them said he found a roaming error on my account and fixed it, and it should be fine after 25-30 minutes, but I reckon he just couldn't find out what the issue was, so he invented this to get rid of me.

I'm actually wondering if this has to do with a recent tariff change. On Friday, still in the UK, I realized that I couldn't make or receive calls (signal was fine and I could send texts). Turns out I had been mistakenly put on a data only tablet tariff before.
Saturday morning, still in UK, I spoke with O2 and they changed the tariff to a standard smartphone tariff (O2 Simplicity 1000 (30D 1GB)). 

I had been told by O2 that my service would work fine after that tariff change, even if it became effective whilst being abroad, as I asked if it mattered that I would be in Asia from Sunday.

Phone works fine otherwise. I can use Wifi alright, but have no signal at all otherwise, which is just incredibly annoying.

Anyone help, please!
Thanks

Message 1 of 8
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
As it sounds account based only CS can help. I would use the landline number on the link to speak to them
http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions
As it sounds account based only CS can help. I would use the landline number on the link to speak to them
http://www.o2.co.uk/contactus
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous

Have you looked in My O2 to make sure you are now on that new tariff? http://www.o2.co.uk/myo2

Check that out before you ring O2 as advised above..

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 3 of 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, I checked on My O2 and it now lists the new tariff. Also got the confirmation email.

I'm here on business trip, 8 hours ahead of the UK, which makes the available time window to contact customer service incredibly small.

I had hoped someone here can help or review the issue I'm facing.

Message 4 of 8

Cleoriff
  • 122915 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7469 Solutions

Sadly no one on here can help @Anonymous as this is a customer to cutomer forum. If you phone customer services now you will get through and someone should be able to help you. Best of luck..

Edited to add...if your phone is unlocked you could use a local sim. A bit inconvenient I know but at least you will have a working phone...

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 8

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23071 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3675 Solutions

Unfortunately, @Anonymous this is a customer to customer forum and no one here has access to account information. I will tag @Toby the community manager. he's the only one who might be able to help, but it's a big might.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 6 of 8

Toby
  • 11577 Posts
  • 520 Topics
  • 213 Solutions

Hi @Anonymous,

Welcome to the community! Please take the advice here and try to contact customer service. If you have trouble with this, please contact us on facebook or twitter, as there are advisers there who can assist also.

Fancy writing a great device review or O2 forum guide? Send me a message!

Get involved:
• New to the community? This is how you get help.
• Want to know who we are? Come and say hi to us.
• Want to have a chat? Drop me a direct message.

Message 7 of 8

MI5
  • 144335 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27666 Solutions

@Anonymous wrote:
8 hours ahead of the UK, which makes the available time window to contact customer service incredibly small.

CS are open from 4.00pm your time through to 5.00am

Currently using:
Message 8 of 8