cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New pay monthly sim contract - chance to upgrade in 3 month?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there, just recently got a pay month sim contract and stuck it in my iphone. I did go into the 02 shop to just get a pay and go micro sim but the sales assistant talked me into a contract with unlimited mins and texts which im delighted with.

Long story short i do have bad credit, it was from when i was younger and unemployed. Told this to the sales assistant and told him i wouldnt be able to get one with my credit. He menaged to get me one, i think when he did the credit check it came referred and he had to ring up somebody and managed to get me the contract.

before he took my details and i was abit warey about taking out the contract, he gaurenteed that after 3 months and i have my bills paid on time i can come back into the shop and pickup an iphone 5 to add to my £20 a month pay monthly sim...

it all seems abit good to be true, is he right? Will i actually get a iphone 5 in 3 months?

Thanks, Rob

Message 1 of 11
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

This is taken from the T&C's:

Early upgrade entitlement
    1. Unless we tell you otherwise, if you joined us or upgraded on a Pay Monthly tariff with a phone, you may be able to upgrade your phone earlier than the end of your existing minimum term contract, provided you upgrade to the same or higher priced tariff (minutes / texts and not including the cost of data) that you joined us on. If you want an upgrade you'll have to sign up to a new minimum term contract.
    2. Your early upgrade depends on which tariff you joined us or upgraded with us on:
Monthly Allowance How much earlier you could upgrade
50-300 minutes1 month
600-1200 minutesup to 3 months
Unlimited minutesup to 6 months
  1. Your eligibility to have an early upgrade is for a limited time only and may depend on what tariff you'e on. If you upgrade early, you'll lose any discounts applied to your Pay Monthly tariff.
  2. You won't be able to upgrade early if you are on a simplicity contract.
  3. We can change the rules on early upgrades at any time and at our sole discretion. Changes will be posted here on our website.
  4. If you do not have good payment history with us, or your mobile phone account is terminated or barred either by you or by us, or if you are in arrears in respect of any O2 bill, we reserve the right to automatically terminate or reduce your early upgrade entitlement. On the date of termination, all benefits and privileges will immediately cease.
  5. You can't transfer, sell or buy your early upgrade, it's personal to you. There are no cash or credit alternatives to an early upgrade.
  6. If we suspect any fraud or abuse in relation to qualifying for an early upgrade, we'll have the right to immediately withdraw your services, phone or any other benefits.
  7. Your eligibility to have an early upgradeis based on the tariff you joined us on or upgraded to. Your eligibility for an early upgrade does not change if you decide to tariff transfer to a higher tariff during your minimum term contract.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Did you get the offer in writing?
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
No i didnt, i would of been fine on pay as you go but he gaurenteed me a upgrade phone in 3 months. Im suprised the credit check let me have the contract to be honest.. have i been lied to
Message 3 of 11

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
I'm just an old sceptic, but I would go back and get it in writing before your 7 days cooling off period is over. If they won't put it in writing you can cancel the contract if it is a deal breaker for you....

Currently using:
Message 4 of 11

jonsie
  • 92906 Posts
  • 608 Topics
  • 6913 Solutions

That sounds incredibly too good to be true. I have never heard of such a deal although there is a deal where you can upgrade during a 12 month Simplicity deal. I am sure you will have to pay an up-front fee for the iphone though.

Message 5 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
its been over 7 days and im sorry if you thought i ment for free.

i have difficulty typing so makes it hard to sound clear lol.

i have bad credit and didnt think id get the contract at all, suprisingly got one but sim only.
sales assistant who gave me contract told me if i keep paying my bill each month for 3 months 02 will let me have a new pay monthly phone (obviously not for free but probably something added to my £20 a month bill)
Message 6 of 11

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions
Ah, OK. That makes more sense. I have heard of something like that before.

Currently using:
Message 7 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
sorry about that, so really i mean if i walk in 3 months into 02 and tell them i have had my contract 3 month now can I have another contract for a new phone they will give me one?
Is this an actual 02 offer or is it something that you might be entitled for?
thanks
Message 8 of 11

MI5
  • 143403 Posts
  • 632 Topics
  • 27489 Solutions

This is taken from the T&C's:

Early upgrade entitlement
    1. Unless we tell you otherwise, if you joined us or upgraded on a Pay Monthly tariff with a phone, you may be able to upgrade your phone earlier than the end of your existing minimum term contract, provided you upgrade to the same or higher priced tariff (minutes / texts and not including the cost of data) that you joined us on. If you want an upgrade you'll have to sign up to a new minimum term contract.
    2. Your early upgrade depends on which tariff you joined us or upgraded with us on:
Monthly Allowance How much earlier you could upgrade
50-300 minutes1 month
600-1200 minutesup to 3 months
Unlimited minutesup to 6 months
  1. Your eligibility to have an early upgrade is for a limited time only and may depend on what tariff you'e on. If you upgrade early, you'll lose any discounts applied to your Pay Monthly tariff.
  2. You won't be able to upgrade early if you are on a simplicity contract.
  3. We can change the rules on early upgrades at any time and at our sole discretion. Changes will be posted here on our website.
  4. If you do not have good payment history with us, or your mobile phone account is terminated or barred either by you or by us, or if you are in arrears in respect of any O2 bill, we reserve the right to automatically terminate or reduce your early upgrade entitlement. On the date of termination, all benefits and privileges will immediately cease.
  5. You can't transfer, sell or buy your early upgrade, it's personal to you. There are no cash or credit alternatives to an early upgrade.
  6. If we suspect any fraud or abuse in relation to qualifying for an early upgrade, we'll have the right to immediately withdraw your services, phone or any other benefits.
  7. Your eligibility to have an early upgradeis based on the tariff you joined us on or upgraded to. Your eligibility for an early upgrade does not change if you decide to tariff transfer to a higher tariff during your minimum term contract.

Currently using:
Message 9 of 11

Anonymous
Not applicable
thanks for your help, when do you think im best going into the 02 shop and asking them about it? it says there that i have limited time available to upgrade?
Message 10 of 11