cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Phone, New, unrequested, number - want to use the old one.

danc_new
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

I received a new phone yesterday with a new number, which I never asked for. I've been very happy with my current number for the last few years and don't want to have to go through the hassle of making sure everyone I know has the new one, and updating it in all the many places I have it already registered.

I have spoken to two live chat reps who assured me I could keep my old number. I have also spoken to a rep on the phone who instructed me on how to get my sim number swapped using the on-phone method (using the 20220 SWAP service). I've tried this twice and it has failed both times. 

I'm really getting frustrated with this now as I've been told it should be working. But I still have two active numbers, both of which I'm sure are being charged for my use of them. 

I'd really like some reassurance that:

A: It actually can be done 

B: It actually has been done. 

Considering I never expected, or asked for, a new number, I'm baffled as to why I was sent one. The old phone is on a Pay Monthly contract and I ordered the phone as an upgrade, not as a new contract. It really seems like it should be something you request if you want a new number, not something that's forced on you. 

Message 1 of 10
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

PhoneDoc
Level 14: Rising star 
  • 278 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

I agree, you certainly shouldn't be given a whole new connection when you just want to upgrade. Was this done online or over the phone? If over the phone, did O2 phone you or did you phone them?

As far as swapping your SIM card goes, that just transfers your phone number from one sim card to another, it doesn't port an old number on to a new account.

I'd maybe give 202 another call, explain that you seem to have two separate contract and you only want one. You could also try the option for "if you're thinking of leaving us", the retentions team would be pretty swift to resolve this if they thought you might be willing to cancel both contracts.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 10
9 REPLIES 9

PhoneDoc
  • 278 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

Hi @danc_new. Where did you get the new phone from, O2 directly or a reseller?

I'm not sure why you were signed up to a new contract when all you wanted was to upgrade as far as I can tell.

You can certainly keep the old number and there's two ways of going about this.

1) Cancel the new contract if you're within 14 days and just upgrade directly through O2 or your preferred reseller. Be clear it's an upgrade you want and not a new connection.

or

2) Phone O2 customer services on 202 and ask for your previous contract to be cancelled, and request that they port your old number on to your new account. This is probably the more straight forward of the two options but if you have any payments left to make on your old contract, CS will insist that it's paid up first.

Hope this helps

Message 2 of 10

danc_new
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions
Thanks PhoneDoc.

It's a new phone, direct from O2 themselves, and it was ordered specifically as an upgrade, not as a new account, so there should only ever have been one account and one number, the one I already had.

I've spoken to 202 and they made no mention of cancelling any contracts, just that I needed to use the service I mentioned before, which just keeps failing.

I'm worried the process of swapping has started and I may have interfered with it in some way.

As I'd already been assured by two people that it was being done, I'm clueless as to why it hasn't been. I vaguely recall something similar happening the last time I "upgraded" with O2 as well, I'd have thought this sort of thing wouldn't happen anymore, but there we go!
Message 3 of 10

PhoneDoc
  • 278 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

I agree, you certainly shouldn't be given a whole new connection when you just want to upgrade. Was this done online or over the phone? If over the phone, did O2 phone you or did you phone them?

As far as swapping your SIM card goes, that just transfers your phone number from one sim card to another, it doesn't port an old number on to a new account.

I'd maybe give 202 another call, explain that you seem to have two separate contract and you only want one. You could also try the option for "if you're thinking of leaving us", the retentions team would be pretty swift to resolve this if they thought you might be willing to cancel both contracts.

Message 4 of 10

danc_new
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Thanks! I'll certainly give them a call. 

The upgrade was all done online, so again, I'm stumped as to how this has happened!

Message 5 of 10

jonsie
Level 94: Supreme
  • 93327 Posts
  • 610 Topics
  • 6985 Solutions

The text sim swap process won't work unless the first contract has been closed down. Fill in the form here and the number will be transferred which will automatically close the existing account and a final bill produced which could mean a credit being transferred to the new account.

http://service.o2.co.uk/IQ/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=Companion,Ts=Webforms,T=PreToPost

Alternatively speak to them on 202 and close the account yourself and ask them to transfer the number.

Message 6 of 10

PhoneDoc
  • 278 Posts
  • 7 Topics
  • 21 Solutions

That is a strange one. The retentions team will probably be your quickest bet, and you can always barter with them for some loyalty discount for the hassle wink

Message 7 of 10

Anonymous
Not applicable

Admittedly when customers have upgraded online the system (or human error) has created new accounts in the past.  Usually due to cookies issue I've noticed when going through the processes the customer then has to login to their account to confirm and then finalise the agreement.

I've noticed some browsers really struggle cookies wise with this, as well as some customers in opposition upgrade, put in details, but never log into their account and it creates a new one.. both tend to occur more often than not.

Give Retentions a call and they should sort it out and get your existing number ported in to the new contract, and if needs be get it done quickly (as long as te other contract is out for renewal I've known us able to get it all moved over within an hour or so.. sometimes longer depending on system speed and trasnfer queues).

You won't be the first and definately won't be the last...

Message 8 of 10

danc_new
Level 1: Joiner
  • 4 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

PhoneDoc was right, I had the old contract closed and the number was transferred within a couple of hours. 

Still scratching my head over why the upgrade route led to a new contract being created, though I suspect it was due to a tariff change. That really shouldn't force a new contract to be opened, though. 

Thanks to everyone for the input, much appreciated. slight_smile

Message 9 of 10

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 124292 Posts
  • 828 Topics
  • 7524 Solutions

Hi @danc_new I must admit initially I had some concerns about the terminology 'upgrade' and 'new contract'. This happened to me. I had a sim only contract which expired in January. I wanted another 12 month sim only contract with a slightly higher data allowance. I was invited by O2 to upgrade.....when I contacted customer services and chose the tariff I wanted it came through as a new contract

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 10 of 10