Did you mean: 

Alternative O2 top up number?

coolcity
Level 1: Joiner
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Hi folks, 

I no longer use O2 having been ripped off by the company once too often, but my elderly aunt does and I top up her phone via voucher from my owm phone. The thing is, not being on O2 it works out expensive to use the 0845 number, costs around or over a £1 from my light-use sim depending how long I'm faffing about waiting for their system, and given that I refuse to speak to a robot, using the 0344 number takes forever to get to the Top Up option not least because it's just annoying - first questions for example are "Are you an O2 customer" and "Are you calling from the number you want to talk about". Who says I'm calling them to discuss a phone number? So no, these bots are crap and I will not entertain them, given that their only pupose is to save the company money on hiring real people. Anyway I digress, sorry. 

So , Is there an alternative (landline or standard mobile) number that gets me straight through to the top up section? 

I AM NOT interested in topping up online by card or by any other method, I top up by shop-bought voucher and only by voucher. 

Thanks in advance. 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 147156 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28297 Solutions

@coolcity 

Lots of ways here Guide How to Top Up (PAYG) 

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 2 of 6

coolcity
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Not sure if you misunderstood or just didn't read the whole message, but absolutely none of those are any use for topping up via voucher from a non-O2 phone. I stated why the 034 number was unsuitable, 4444 is only of any use from an O2 number, the 07153 (+44 1753) number doesn't appaear to work (always get a message stating "This phone is switched off"), and none of the rest is relevant to the original query. 

With all due respect, if I had found the answer via the basic FAQs or search I wouldn't be here. 

Message 3 of 6

madasaf1sh
Level 77: Grand Master
  • 10689 Posts
  • 56 Topics
  • 3104 Solutions

@coolcity 

Why are you not using 0344 809 0222 (PAYG CS)  which is included in any inclusive minutes (as per OFCOM Rules), and then if you need to you get through to an agent... 

The Top Up line is also not chargable for more than a local rate call, again as per OFCOM Rules 03456 062 277

If you dont go through the IVR's then tough, as that is the only way to do it...

- Xperia 1V - o2 and Spusu
- Pixel 8 Pro - o2 and Vodafone UK
Message 4 of 6

MI5
Level 94: Supreme
  • 147156 Posts
  • 636 Topics
  • 28297 Solutions

@coolcity wrote:

Not sure if you misunderstood or just didn't read the whole message, but absolutely none of those are any use for topping up via voucher from a non-O2 phone. I stated why the 034 number was unsuitable, 4444 is only of any use from an O2 number, the 07153 (+44 1753) number doesn't appaear to work (always get a message stating "This phone is switched off"), and none of the rest is relevant to the original query. 

With all due respect, if I had found the answer via the basic FAQs or search I wouldn't be here. 

It's you that has misunderstood.

All and the only ways to top up are in the guide.

What's wrong with the web top up option anyway which is done in seconds and much quicker that calling from any phone?

I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.
Please select the post that helped you best and mark as the solution. This helps other members in resolving their issues faster. Thank you.
Message 5 of 6

coolcity
  • 5 Posts
  • 1 Topics
  • 0 Solutions

Nope, it's you that misunderstood. I clearly stated that I want to top up by voucher. I have my reasons. That's all I need to say. I SPECIFICALLY stated that so that people would NOT start pointing me towards online top up etc. 

I appreciate you're trying to help but if you don't know the answer then just say so. To clarify, the number I have been using is the 0344 809 0222 number which does NOT take you straight to the top up section. You have to answer various bot-powered questions, enter the relevant number for no apparent reason, press * a couple of times to get rid of the bot and get the "Press 1 to..., Press 2 to...." etc menu up, then choose option 4 to finally get to the top up line. Then start the faff with that. 

However, there IS (or at least used to be) a landline number which gets you straight through to the top up line. There has to be because 03 numbers are virtual numbers. But I can't find it. 

The problem is if you're calling from a sim on a standard PAYG tariff (NOT a monthly top up tariff like Big Bundle), an older style tariff that doesn't require a monthly top up, the standard tariff rates cost upwards of 25p a minute. That's why the O2 Classic sim is so popular but I "lost" my number thanks to O2 so until I get another Classic sim I'm having to use an alternative. THERE ARE SPECIFIC REASONS why I am not using a "regular" monthly top up sim.

However, I note that the 03456062277 number gets me straight through to the top up line without the faff you experience on the 0344 number, so thank you (and madasaf1sh) for your help with that. I did have that number but ideally wanted the landline. 

Message 6 of 6