Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Contract (from PAYG)

Cleoriff
Level 94: Supreme
  • 122826 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Hi All...another couple of queries before I ring 202 today to 'activate my new contract' on my S3. I want to keep my old number from my existing Galaxy Y while using the S3...I know the S3 has a micro sim and apparently O2  will electronically transfer the old number to this micro sim...so, (as I want to keep my Galaxy Y as back up) will O2 be able to do an electronic transfer of the S3 temporary number to my Galaxy Y phone??...

Also (in the recesses of my mind) would I have been told, as a new contract customer, I would have new account details to be able to access this site? Thanks again for your help.. (I did warn you. that you would get many questions from this 'old newbie')... :))

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 1 of 6
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

MI5
  • 144182 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Only your phone number transfers. Contact numbers will have to be done manually or by syncing you old phone with Kies and then copying them to your new phone. You may also be able to bluetooth them between phones, but the best way is to copy them all to your phone memory then sync with your GMail account. This will mean you contacts can be seen anywhere on any phone or PC, Laptop etc.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Pixel 7a (O2 & Lyca), One Plus 6 (Sfr), iPhone 12 Pro Max (Vodafone)

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6
5 REPLIES 5

MI5
  • 144182 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
You will need a replacement SIM for your old phone on PAYG and activate it when it arrives to keep the old phone as a back up. You will be able to log in to your account and link it with your current account so you will only have one log in to see both account details.
I have no affiliation whatsoever with O2 or any subsidiary companies. Comments posted are entirely of my own opinion. This is not Customer Service so we are unable to help with account specific issues.

Currently using:
Message 2 of 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

While the number is transferring from Pay As You Go to Pay Monthly then we won't be able to fiddle around with the old Galaxy Y sim card or anything. It takes 4 hours and at the end of it your Pay As You Go phone will be deactivated and the Pay Monthly phone will have the number you want to keep on it.

Certainly, once this is done, you can get a Pay As You Go sim card with a new PAYG number and keep the Galaxy Y as a back up. Or, you can get a normal sized sim card and keep it so if anything happens to the S3 then O2 can transfer your contract from the microsim to the normal one.

With regards to logging in, O2 usually text you within the first few days with a new username and password. If you don't have these, there is a link for forgotten details on the sign in page or you can ask when you call CS today. As MI5 said, once logged in you can link up your Pay As You Go account to this one slight_smile

Message 3 of 6

Bambino
Level 84: Resplendent
  • 23047 Posts
  • 1025 Topics
  • 3674 Solutions

I'm not certain if O2 will automatically transfer your number to your new sim. If they don't do it, you can do it yourself here: http://swapmysim.o2.co.uk/

Also be aware that if you want to keep your old phone as a backup, and you get a new PAYG sim for it, you will need to top that sim up, and you cannot have the same number on that sim as you do on your new phone.

I DO NOT WORK FOR O2

Funniest-Thread-2
Message 4 of 6

Cleoriff
  • 122826 Posts
  • 826 Topics
  • 7467 Solutions

Thanks all for that info. I didnt realise both my phones would be out of use for up to 4 hrs (in that case I may well do the transfer later on!) Another query on the same topic...my contacts on old phone are all saved to Sim, so when this transfer of numbers takes place from my PAYG Galaxy Y to Samsung S3, will all my contacts be transferred with it? Or do I have to transfer contacts beforehand. (the more I think about it all the more confused I get) slight_smile

Veritas Numquam Perit

Girl in a jacket
Message 5 of 6

MI5
  • 144182 Posts
  • 634 Topics
  • 27632 Solutions
Only your phone number transfers. Contact numbers will have to be done manually or by syncing you old phone with Kies and then copying them to your new phone. You may also be able to bluetooth them between phones, but the best way is to copy them all to your phone memory then sync with your GMail account. This will mean you contacts can be seen anywhere on any phone or PC, Laptop etc.

Currently using:
Message 6 of 6